SAMSARA [6]

Eventually I heard the bell ring. It's now 8:20.

Perfect, now I can head straight to Ulv'djevel Combat class. Well, with Akaza, of course. I certainly can't forget about him. I nudged Akaza, who pretty much fell asleep with his head slammed straight on the desk, awake. He shot up alarmed and glared at me, then he proceeded to have quite the mood swing as I watched him groan in despair since it's time for Ulv'djevel Combat. I merely laughed at him and sympathetically patted him on the back, then motioned for him to stand up and go as I did so myself.

Now, you might be thinking that was quite the quiet exchange, but it happens often. It's pretty much easier than the classic verbal communication sometimes, at least in my opinion.

With that out of the way, we both sprinted down the hallways and ran for the classroom. Though, as we approached, we halted and slowed down. Purely for safety. Totally not because we're trying to delay the inevitable or anything, man. Ah, whatever.. I'm too obvious anyway, the cat's out of the bag. I stared at Akaza when we reached the doorway who is then seen taking a deep breath as if it'd help him at all. I rolled my eyes at him, mouthing two sentences that probably offended him, "You can't avoid this. Plus, I once expected you to be good at this class since you like fighting."

He jokingly glared at me as I entered the classroom and I merely laughed at him yet again. I made my way to my seat and sat down comfortably. Now I have to face Professor Rory, I nearly forgot about that. I screamed in my head. Hopefully Professor Rory hasn't seen the news or anything. He's probably going to make Akaza and I the subject of today's class or something.

Now I could see Professor Rory's iconic, unforgettable face, with his sharp green eyes and deep black hair. He seemed to be staring down the entire class as per usual, then he finally spoke as the last student came in and sat at the very back. Aurora. The girl. I still remember our conversation. I can clearly see she's in the female students' uniform. It's pretty much the same as the male's, though instead of pants it's a gray plaid skirt that reaches the knees.

"Good morning, students, though I know it may not be a good one for some of you.. trust me, I've been there in your years once or twice," his gravely voice started. "Either way.. welcome back to another class of Ulv'djevel Combat. First of all, before we move on to the lesson itself.. I have something to say, concerning specifically those two in the third row.. Shirou Sakai and Akaza Sato."

I groaned and Akaza looked alarmed. I sighed and looked towards him in a judging manner then.

"So?" Akaza finally managed to sigh out.

"I'm sure everyone here still watches the news, so we all know what I'm talking about. It's not often you see Ulv'djevler within the walls of Winflame," Professor Rory sighed after he paused his words, then he continued speaking. "I must say your performance in combat against real Ulv'djevler was impressive. Though, Shirou, you must learn to take the initiative in a fight sometimes. Don't leave everything to your enemy."

I almost growled in an animalistic manner if I hadn't stopped myself then. See, I suppose I'm a bit cranky today. I then opted to sigh and nod. "Of course Professor. I will try taking an offensive stance more often."

"Very good," Professor Rory nodded in approval. "As for Akaza! Do not exhaust yourself via overuse of your flames and fatigue! It can be fatal in combat, especially when the Ulv'djevel you face has a less primitive way of thinking," he was practically shouting as a form of reprimanding the poor guy, though his words softened near the end. "I care about my students as much as your parents care about their children." He sighed.

"Sorry Professor Rory.." Akaza groaned as per usual. Poor guy.

"Now! With that out of the way, onto the lesson.." and here comes Professor Rory's topic for today, I suppose. "I know I may have already talked about this once or twice, but some of you seem to forget quite easily. So I decided to help you today," he says as he starts writing on the board in front of everyone. The writing forms to read Weak Spots of the Ulv'djevler. "Weak spots you can find in the beasts known as Ulv'djevler."

Oh. I remain silent. After a beat, he says clever words. "I recommend taking notes. I'd hate to repeat."

"Now, the most obvious weak spot, and the first one to be noticed at most times, is their abdomen, or underside. It is extremely fragile in terms of defense, much like normal animals you'd see or hear about in your day to day lives." Way to say the obvious, Professor. I think in my head as I jot down notes.. and by notes, I mean every single word he says. My notes look a bit messy, though, I must admit. Several important words are encircled with arrows all over the pages, with drawings underneath the writing as well for visual viewing. Yes, I am meticulous to that degree. This is Tempesta Defense Academy, after all.

"Though, at times where you are in a position you can't strike at their abdomen for a quick victory, you can always aim directly at their snout. It's got a high chance to stun them and make them a bit loopy, so it's perfect if you need a quick getaway or distraction." Only when I looked up from my notebook, as he paused his long talk for a moment, is when I realize he's been drawing images this entire time. I can see the snout of an Ulv'djevel encircled in red, and the same goes for their entire underside. I return to jotting down notes, as he finally continues speaking again after sighing. "There's also one other weak spot that can only be made use of in certain situations. Their ears. And by that, I mean they're sensitive to irritating noise, just like any other living creature or thing on this planet. Believe me," he speaks in a slow manner as I admire his inability to lose breath. I've still been writing down what he says, so I don't need to worry about losing focus as I look back up from the notebook and onto the board. Alongside the underside and snout is the ears encircled in red as well. I do believe there was a fourth weak spot though, I think in confusion.

"My apologies, students." Professor Rory states after some minutes of silence. "There is a fourth one, and I'd nearly forgotten just like you kids.. my age must be getting to me."

Funny.

"Though, I suppose this is already well known. They're weak when alone, and strong in a group. Their strength works just like a pack of wolves." Professor Rory finally tells us the final weakness of the Ulv'djevler.

"I hope you lot are done with your note writing. We are now done with the discussion.. for the last part of today's class, we will be heading to the back of the school. You kids already know what I mean.."