Chapter 15

It had been a week since Ryan was treating Dove a little too harshly, giving her unnecessary work. He even did not bother giving her a ride anymore.

The way he treated her was not bothering her. She was getting agitated. Their conversations were strictly professional. He either barked orders to her or sometimes a brief nod was his answer to her.

Alexander decided to break the new on Ryan later as he too noticed his indifferent behavior. Everyone tried to ask him but being the stubborn man he was, he refused to discuss the matter. Kaira's worries were increased to a new level due to all this. Ryan even refused to attend anyone's calls for a few days and never returned Xavier's texts.

Even he appeared differently. His facial hairs grew a little more and his brown hair were messy and needed a haircut soon, his eyes, if only looked closely would seem tired than usual. He started drowning himself in work so as to avoid any thoughts of his past and Dove.

Because of all the unnecessary work assigned by Ryan to Dove it was getting hard for her to spare time for Gracie. She had talked to her mother over phone and even on her request Crystal postponed the day to run tests on her. But it was the day to get the tests done so Dove decided to take leave for half day. She knocked at Ryan's cabin door and heard a faint 'come in'. Without even glancing at Dove or turning around he barked, "Wait for a minute Ms. McKenzie." Dove nodded, not bothering to answer him.

Ryan was talking at the cell phone, standing near the window. From the tone of his voice, he sounded angry and disturbed. Dove wanted to hug the man standing in front of her with rigid shoulders and fisted hands. She wanted to relax him but she looked at the script on Ryan's desk in order to divert her mind.

After a moment someone snatched the script out of her hand. She looked at Ryan who was shaking his head disapprovingly. "Don't you have work to do Ms. McKenzie? Stop ebing useless and do something productive. This House doesn't pay you for doing nothing."

Dove just rolled her eyes even though his comment hurt her. It felt like routine now. Listening to his snide remarks or getting cold treatment from him. She did not want to give it much attention but every time his comments caused pain in her heart. She hated to admit that Ryan had an affect on her. Whatever he did or said affected her.

"God dammit. Are you deaf or something? Do you have anything to tell or ask? If not then I suggest you to leave and stop wasting my time." He ran a hand through his already messy hair.

Dove cleared her throat before saying, "Sir actually I have completed all my work for the day. Your schedule for tomorrow is here along with the scripts that you asked for." She pointed towards the black cabinet that laid in the left corner of cabin, containing scripts and Ryan's schedule for the week. "And as for your coffee you will get it in five minutes. I have asked Lisa to go through the conference hall for tomorrow's meeting. And I guess there is nothing else that is to be done by me." As Dove realized she was rambling, she paused and pinched the tip of her nose gently. While doing so she saw a ghost of smile on Ryan's lips but again he was back to being cold. So she blamed her nervousness for imaging things.

Ryan watched her carefully, realizing she was growing nervous as she kept on pinching her nose. He was amused by the way her cheeks grew red due to embarrassment but kept his mouth shut. He waited patiently for her to calm down and speak. He saw how her chest fell and rose when she took a few breaths to calm herself down and asked for the day off.

Ryan frowned and asked, "Why do you want the day off Ms. McKenzie?"

He knew she was hesitant to tell but his curiosity was taking over him. "I have some personal reasons Sir. It is just for today." She tilted her head to avoid any eye contact with him which frustrated him and the way she said sir made him hiss. He wanted her to call him by his name without any formalities but he could not ask her to do so after treating her like dirt of his shoes. Dove hoped he would let her go without asking any further questions.