13. Emily

Their eyes watch me, dull yellows, bright shining greens, a moonless night black sky tracking my movements, all the eyes of the Alphas lurking under the surface. Malachi clears his throat, "can we stop with the eyes. She isn't on trial. You are here to listen to her side of this. And move on. That is it. Alpha Apollo?" A middle-aged man with warm brown eyes, his salt, and pepper hair messy on top of his head, as if he couldn't keep his hands from running through it, from all the drama I've caused, nods in agreement. The eyes change back to normal.

"Alphas." I start, looking at each of them in turn, all six of them—the Alphas of land, sea, clouds, mountains, island, and deserts. The only one missing is the Alpha of the Snows.

"We all have questions regarding the day in question. Why don't you start, and we will ask as needed for clarification? And if everyone here doesn't mind, can we drop the formality? It will make this go a bit quicker." Alpha Apollo says with a tone of respect, a manner that asks but doesn't tell, but you knew he wasn't asking. The heads on the screen nod in return.

"Um, well. I don't know where to start? The very beginning or just that day?" I sound weak, and I feel helpless. Clearing my throat and setting my jaw in the mask I have learned in my territory, the arrogant, pain-free, these problems aren't mine.

"Emily, the medical reports we have on you, submitted from Malachi, who did this to you? We can start there." Alpha Apollo states, giving me a place to start my story.
"My father and my oldest brother Aiden," I answered quickly.
"Nathaniel." Malachi pulls the eyes towards him. They shift all at once as if they were one body, not the separate six. "Is this on record? I don't know the whole story here, but I don't want this on public record. It should be sealed after this. She is a minor, and he is an Alpha."

Alpha Apollo takes a minute. I see the thoughts forming and disappearing in his warm brown eyes as they happen. He wouldn't last a minute in my territory, his every opinion on display, playing in his eyes over his entire face. Not a minute. "Yes. We can seal this. There would be no need for it to be a public record. Emily, if you would state the names of your father and oldest brother. Just for clarification." Nathaniel turns his eyes to me.

"My father, Alpha to the Snows, Michael Jacob Carter, and my oldest brother Aiden Michael Carter, who is next in line for the title"
"Just tell them what happened, Emily. In whatever order you want." Malachi's words are soft as he leans over to me, whispering gently in my ear. I clear my throat and start my sob story.

"My father hates me. Has despised me since the moment I was born. My mother died, having me, and Michael couldn't blame her. He loved her. He couldn't blame a woman he loved. His wife, his Luna, so he picked someone he could. He said once he couldn't stand to look in the eyes of a killer, so he dropped me off at six months old in our kitchen. Told Maggie," I smile at her memory, warm smile, soft hugs, the love she had for me. "Maggie is our kitchen manager. He told her that I would live or die at her hands. He didn't care either way. She raised me, not my father. When Alpha Callahan left," I have to stop, the memories flooding back. Malachi's hands tightened in his lap, keeping them off me for once. My shoulders square, "When Alpha Callahan left. My father figured I had done or, said something to ruin it. I've done it before. I ruined every single marriage proposal sent my way. Most were men, in their forties or fifties; anyone, for lack of my father selling me, would take me." Malachi's growls fill my ears.

"Alpha Callahan, your eyes." A man with curly long, blonde thick hair with sky blue eyes comments quickly, his face thin, and his skin kissed by the sun. Malachi stands suddenly; he starts pacing the room, back and forth, his fingers laced on the top of his head, his eyes closed, one, two, three steps, then he stops. He stops and looks up, maybe asking the Goddess for advice, maybe for the will not to kill my father, or maybe for me. Then he spins and takes his three steps, "Malachi?"
"I'm right here, Emily. Please go on."