chapter twenty-seven

I stared at it while a cold glass rested in my right palm. I never thought I'd have a painting of myself hanging on my wall, but it was too beautiful to not showcase.

I had been paying attention to the detailing for the past couple of minutes, analysing it way more than I did at the art gallery. Every colour was spread out on the canvas and the blending morphed into the painting that it was.

Day had delivered it to my place a week ago. At the time, I was hopeful he was going to come to my place like he did the first time he attempted to deliver it, instead, he had sent it through a courier service.

We had messaged each other a couple of times since then, but it was genuinely different. I couldn't put my finger on it. This wasn't to say he was being cold towards me, but it just felt... different.

I had been fighting the urge to call him for the past hour and I seemed to be failing.

Don't do it.

I pulled out my phone and went to my contact list. My thumb clicked the call button, making me press my phone to my ears.

It wasn't that late, so I expected him to be awake.

I heard the dial tone until his voice came through on the line.

"Hello," he said.

I was trying to pick up on his tone, but I felt it was neutral. I couldn't read him.

"Hi, Day," I greeted him, feeling satisfied that he answered.

"What's up, ma?" He spoke calmly and I heard a little bit of shuffling in the background.

"Are you busy?"

"I'm just sorting out the studio for something I have to work on soon."

"Oh... okay," I responded.

There was a beat of silence before I continued.

"Would you mind if I came over?" I asked before biting the inside of my cheek.

"Hollie, you know you can't do that."

"Please?"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"I miss you," I confessed, before folding my lips in. I knew I was capable of missing him, in fact, I had prior to seeing him a week ago, it was just something I'd never said to him.

I heard a heavy exhale escape his lips. My lips twisted to the side waiting for his response.

"I'll tell security downstairs to let you in," he responded after what felt like forever, "I still have some things I need to get done, so you can't be here for long."

"That's okay. Thank you," I expressed my gratitude, "I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay."

"Okay, bye."

I'd been feeling a little under the weather, and I knew seeing him was exactly what I needed.