“I could have handled it if it was just me.” Gema said softly. “If you just didn’t want to be with me anymore….I could have handled that. You’re the one who, accused me of those things, who didn’t want any communication.”

“Non.” Vistos said with a violent toss of those thick curls. “Your letter distinctly said you did not want anything to do with me.”

Gema snorted. “Now I know you’re making this up, there was no letter.”

“Si, there was.” Vistos insisted. “It was here, in Italy, waiting for me when you were not.”

Gema rolled her eyes, tired of this conversation. “Vistos, I’m telling you I never sent you a letter. I got your letter, and that’s why I never contacted you, which is why I never sent you a letter.” 

Vistos frowned deeply and half turned to look at her. “You received a letter?”

“Yes,” Gema answered. 

“From me?” 

“Yes,” Gema nodded. 

“A letter?” Vistos echoed, and Gema threw up her hands again. 

“Yes, Vistos, yes, a letter addressed to me, delivered by your pilot, at the airport, yes, Jesus Christ.” 

Vistos slowly shook his head. “Non, I did not do this thing. I wrote no letter.” 

Gema snorted and started to answer, but stopped when she saw the serious look on his face. “You really didn’t send a letter?”

“Non.” He said firmly, and they stared at each other. “You went to the airport?” He asked, and Gema looked away now, processing everything. 

“Yes, I….well, I was going to surprise you in London and then fly with you to Italy but…I got your letter saying you knew I was pregnant and wanted nothing to do with me.”

“And you believed that?” Vistos erupted, scowling at her. “How could you believe such merda? I am Greek!” Vistos pounded his chest with his fist for emphasis. “And Italian! I would never give up a child that is mine! Especially if it could be a boy!” 

“You weren’t exactly the fatherly type four years ago, Vistos!” Gema snapped at him, then she ran her hands back through her hair. “What am I even saying? Oh my God, four years,” She whispered more to herself, touching her hands to her lips as she trembled slightly, her emotions wild. “Four….years, of believing…a lie! Permiso.” Gema excused herself, rushing from the room, having to be away from him. 

Gema sighed as she walked along the familiar hallways, remembering a time when Vistos used to carry her anxiously through the halls and up the stairs, barely containing his need. That seemed so long ago, as if it had all happened to a different person. Even breaking off the wedding with Doug, that all seemed like forever ago. As Gema gazed at the closed door to Vistos’ bedroom, she shook her head. What am I doing here? She asked herself, trailing her hand over the beautiful and intricate doorknob, before hurrying away from the door. Vistos had gone to work, she’d heard his car take off not long after she’d fled the room. All this time, she’d thought the worst of him. How many times had she sat around with Mark and Kate, drinking to Vistos getting his heart broken, or losing his fortune to a true gold digger, and the whole time, they had been deceived. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who had pulled it off. Claire, of course, was the only person who knew enough, and had access to them both to make sure the letters were delivered. Who Claire was working with and why, were better questions. Unless Claire wanted Vistos to herself, Gema mused as she went in search of Kai to check on him. Whatever the reason, the truth was out. For better or worse, still remains to be seen, but at the end of the day, Gema had a life, a business, and friends to go back to in London. Depriving Vistos of Kai wasn’t something Gema had the heart to do, but staying here, as Vistos’ indefinite house prisoner, was not an option.