Chapter 21- The Serpent's Pass (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"You're sure that's the best way to go?" Toph asked.

"It's the only way," Sokka bluntly admitted. "I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there,"

"Shut up about Appa," Katara strictly scolded her brother. "Can't you at least try to be sensitive?". Unfortunately, it seemed as if, in the three days I had been unconscious, Appa still hadn't been found. Aang still seemed to be upset about it, as he sat on the ground, curled up in a ball.

"Katara, it's okay," the Avatar said moodily, his eyes looking at the ground. "I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se, and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse,".

"Then to Ba Sing Se we go!" Sokka announced as he rolled up the map, preparing to leaving. Before we could even take a single step, though, there was a shouting from behind us.

"Hello there, fellow refugees!" a man shouted at us cheerily, his wife and daughter following closely behind. They were dressed in earth kingdom clothing and had large rucksacks, and the mother appeared to be heavily pregnant. Sokka did not look pleased at our new company.

"Are you guys heading to Ba Sing Se, too?" Aang asked them friendlily.

"Sure are!" the man told us. "We're trying to get there before my wife, Ying, has her baby," he informed us.

"Great! We can travel through the Serpent's Pass together," Katara said with a smile, though the family looked very shocked to hear this.

"The Serpent's Pass?" the wife, Ying, said aghast. "Only the truly desperate take that route,"

"You should come with us to Full Moon Bay," the husband offered. "Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se,"

"And it's hidden, so the fire nation can't find it," Ying added. We gladly took them up on their offer, and we all began the trek to Full Moon Bay. During the walk, my arm hurt constantly, and I could tell that it was going to be annoying to not bend for a few days. Even though my right arm was fine, Katara still seemed hesitant to let me bend with it.

It didn't take too long to get to the bay, which was hidden inside of a large cave. We arrived through a secret wall that earthbenders moved out of the way for us. The bay consisted of a dock, with many ferries waiting to take travellers and refugees to Ba Sing Se. What surprised me was the sheer amount of refugees that were waiting at the bay. There were floods of people walking, chatting and even camping in the bay. After thanking them, our team split off from the small family that had taken us here, and went over to get tickets for a ferry. There was an old, grumpy looking woman who was stamping tickets for travellers, and Aang walked over to get us some tickets.

"Umm, five tickets for the ferry to Ba Sing Se, please," he awkwardly requested.

"Passports?" the old lady immediately requested. That was going to be an issue. To my knowledge, none of us had passports with us. In fact, I don't even think that the water tribes even have passports. And Aang's passport, if he had one, certainly wasn't going to be valid considering it would likely state he was one hundred and twelve years old.

"Uh, no one told us we had to have passports," Aang admitted to the lady, and Sokka promptly swooped in to help.

"Don't you know who this is? He's the Avatar," he stated, placing his hand on Aang's shoulder. The ticket lady did not seem impressed.

"I see fifty Avatar's a day. And by the way, not a very impressive costume," she scoffed. "Besides, no animals allowed," she gestured towards Momo, who was perched on Aang's shoulder. "Do I need to call security? Next!"