Chapter 17 Doing business

Start from the beginning

Xie Miao clenched her hands into fists and became more and more passionate as she spoke, attracting Madam Xie's cold eyes.

"A-Miao, tell me, what exactly do you want to explore?" Madam Xie said softly.

It's this amiable yet terrifying expression again.

Xie Miao couldn't help but swallowed, trying to avoid eye contact. Suppressing her guilty conscience, she forced her face up.

"Aunt." She blinked and folded her hands on her knees, sincere and well-behaved, "I want to do business."

Madam Xie's hand holding the teacup tilted, and the tea almost splashed onto her skirt. Xie Miao quickly held on to it with quick eyes and hands, and put the tea cup straight back on the table.

"The tea is hot, Aunt, be careful." She said with a smile.

What a considerate and thoughtful niece.

Madam Xie took a breath, and then another breath, and then another breath, and then she was able to suppress her anger and said patiently: "Repeat what you just said."

The air was stagnant for a moment, then Xie Miao said crisply: "Aunt, I want to go into business."

Doing business?

Madam Xie sneered, "A-Miao, you are jesting with me."

She has made it clear that if a woman wants to marry into an official family, she must not engage in business. The fact is that anyone who has studied in school will look down upon businessmen. What's more, the Cui family has been a noble family for generations and has a deep foundation in the court. How can they accommodate a business woman?

Like a flash of lightning, a thought flashed through Madam Xie's mind, could it be A-Miao...

"Aunt, I'm not joking. I'm discussing this matter with you seriously." Xie Miao looked serious and said: "I know that the Cui family is a noble family but I have nothing to do with the Cui family. I'm just staying here temporarily. "

"What about our Xie family?" Madam Xie asked in a deep voice, "Your great-great-great-grandfather was titled Viscount, and your father was also a serious official. Now you ignore the integrity of the Xie family and want to go into business as a woman?"

Xie Miao was quiet for a while, then smiled bitterly, "Aunt, the title of the Xie family has long been taken back, and my father has been dead for many years. As a woman, I cannot study and become an official. It would be ridiculous to talk about preserving the integrity of the Xie family."

Madam Xie's chest rose and fell rapidly, and she said, "You can't study and become an official, but you can marry into an official's family..."

"Like you?" Xie Miao raised her face, her eyes as clear as a lake, "But Aunt, one Xie in the Cui family is enough."

Madam Xie's heart skipped a beat, and she realized that Xie Miao had decided not to marry Cui Muli when she mentioned doing business.

What went wrong?

Madam Xie was full of doubts. It was clear that in the past three years, A-Miao had the same goal as her and was determined to marry into the second house and become Cui Muli's wife.

Seeing her confusion, Xie Miao sighed and said: "Aunt, in the past we were too wishful thinking and ignored the wishes of my cousin and others. After so many years, I have come to realize that instead of wasting energy on marriage, it is better to do something practical."

"What you call serious business is to follow Fang Zhiru's example, show yourself in public and get the smell of copper?"

"It's Fang Zhiruo." Xie Miao corrected her carefully and changed the subject, "Aunt, I went to Baochang Pavilion and Zhiwei Lou with Xining a few days ago."