Chapter 14: The signs are out there

Chresanto's POV

- Is she okay?! Is she alive?! What's happening!

- Samantha is in a critical situation but she's okay. Please, Mr.August, I need you to sit over there and wait.

- Oh no, sir. I did not come here to wait. I came here to see if my friend, Samantha is doing okay.

- Yes, Mr.August. Like I said, she is doing okay but we still have a couple of examinations to do. We will call you when everything is over.

- Okay sir, I'll wait, I said with a grumpy voice.

- Thank you for your understanding Mr.August. 

Surprisingly, I didn't take long at all! That's great!

- Mr.August, you have thirty minutes.

I walked towards Samantha slowly but steady. I mean, what does she think of me? If I had dialed 911 before, she wouldn't even be in this damn hospital. But at the same time, she doesn't know any of that crap. Sometimes, it's just best to keep things to yourself.

It depends on what though.

- Hey, Samantha, I said leaning towards her to give her a hug.

She gave it back to me without saying a word. She did not look like the Samantha I knew. She practically looked dead. It's like if her life depends on the gadgets that are connected to her body. This is freaking scary.

- Why are you hear, Chresanto? 

- T-to see you... how are you doing?

- Well if I'm in a hospital, I don't think I'm doing okay, right?

- Yea, you right. Stupid question. Ma bad. So... do you know when will you come out of here?

- Don't know and don't really care, honestly. Why you care anyways?

Her replies aren't what I expected them to be. There way too... way too blunt? I don't know what it is but I don't like it.

- 'Why you care?' Why I care! Because you're my friend, Samantha! Friends care and are there for each other. 

- You were never my friend. All of ya'll thought I was weird. I know about that already. I'm the white girl. I was like the rock and you guys were the pearls. I din't belong there. I didn't belong with you guys. I don't belong anywhere, it seems like. Ya'll only tolerated my ass because I was going out with Jacob. And ya'll only respect me because I was Adrienne's best friend. Either than that, ya'll don't care about me.

She spittin' fire, fam. And saying the cold blood truth.

Damn, I've never thought of it that way. We do not value Samantha's presence. We just tolerate it. And that's wrong. And she knows about it. I guess our actions really define who we truly are.

- I'm sorry if you fe-

- You're not sorry. You're not sorry at all. And even if you were, a simple 'sorry' wouldn't change anything.

Like I said to Rayan before, sorry is a meaningless word.

- It's like you wouldn't care from before. You wouldn't care if it wasn't for Jacob to slid my throat in half. You wouldn't even notice me. Your sorry is bullshit, continued Samantha.

I feel foolish. Foolish for showing up like if we cool and good friends and all of this isn't hypocritical. Sam knows that I don't give a fuck about her and she clearly couldn't be bothered with my presence. That's just sad. But at the same time, I did not show up at this fucking hospital for nothing. Beyond the hypocrisy, there's a reason why I'm here. I need to understand and get these weird events straight.