Chapter 11 • Truth

My head hurts. Memories come floating back. I fell off the building with Dagian, or rather he took me with him... I must have passed out, or maybe I'm dead...

My body is covered with something soft, my head lies on a cushion, and there is so much warmth around me. If this is heaven, I don't mind being dead...

I snuggle closer to the warmth and softness, and then my eyes flutter open. I lie on a bed, with blankets as soft as spring grass, warmth as warm as a fireplace. But most of all...the sun...

It's feels like so long ago when I've seen it...

I sit up, the blankets falling off my bear arms. I notice I'm in a large, luxurious bedroom with a sight in the city. The sun shines through the windows. I can't help but look at the sunlight. Even back at the last human village, it was dark. Sometimes the sun would shine, but the warm light didn't suit the dark walls.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?", a voice startles me. I look to see Dagian leaning against the doorway, also looking at the sun.

I'm not dead...

I glare at him slightly and get out of bed. I hear him chuckle warmly "Sorry, I didn't want to ruin the moment... but I reacted exaclty the way you did now when I moved to this city", he says.

I take a few steps away from him. I'm wearing a night gown... did he change me?

Dagian seems to notice my look. "Don't worry, I didn't change you" he says.

Then who did?

"Isn't it beautiful?" His voice interups my thoughts. He's standing by the window now with his hand behind his back. Also with a straight posture, as if he's a king looking proudly over his kingdom.
I walk over to him to see the city. I didn't notice at first but the city is huge. Many skylines are here, but not in their glory...

Everything is dirty, plants are growing over the buildings and most things are broken or scattered. It's been abandoned for who knows how long.

It gives me a shiver down my spine. "What is this place?", I ask, feeling uneasy. "Used to be New York"
"New York?", I say a bit shocked.

I wouldn't recognized it...

"Wait...so we're in a America? I thought the last city was in China... aren't we in China? Did kidnap me that far?", my voice becomes louder and louder filled with shock.

Dagian chuckles. "No, that would be impossible by foot. But it doesn't mean that the last city was in China that the last village is... oh how I remember China...", he says in a dreamy tone.

"It was such a beautiful country with such a rich culture." Many things flash in my mind. Buildings, people and so much more. Then images of screams and terror overlaps the beauty.
"Yeah... it was... wait..."

How did he know how China used to look like? It fell at least a hundred years ago...

I look at Dagain, seeing his side view. A smirk plays on his lips, my mind processing...

"A-are you..." Dagain looks at me again. "People used to call me a lot of things... I guess Night Stalker is accurate" he says. My eyes widen and my hearts starts to beat rapidly.

"You don't look like those monsters..." Dagain expression changes.

"Who do you call monsters? You should be thankful" he says in a quite annoyed tone. "Night Stalkers are the reason you're alive."

I feel a weird sensation of nauseousness in my body. I take a few steps back. "What do you mean?", it sounded more like a demand then a question. Dagian heard that too and I can feel his aura becoming darker.

"You didn't figure it out?", he asks with a dark tone. His eyes darken and a sinister smirk forms upon his lips. "How come a dawnbreaker, who lived a hundred years ago, still lives without being aged?"

I feel my chest tighten as if someone is making a knot in it. My lower lip starts to tremble and my muscles tense up.

"Poor (name)... just finding out the truth now? You see... the reason why everyone is afraid of you... the reason that they wanted to kill you... is because you are a Night Stalker."

It feels like a knife stabbed through me, tears forming in the corner of my eyes. All hate, all feelings slowly coming up the surface again.

"N-no, that isn't true! I-Im not one of those monsters! I-" I stop myself. It would make sense... it would answer all my questions. But seeing myself as that black liquid with the empty eyes... tearing people apart limp by limp... eating them like a snack or worse... as a trophy...

"Don't deny it..." he places his hand on my bare shoulders with a firm grip. His face so close to mine.

"This is who we were meant to be... Ruling over this world, together. Side by side..."

I pull away from him, horror written on my face. "No... this isn't a world. Out there is only death" I say to him, looking again at the wild city.
"Well" he chuckles. "I rather be a ruler in hell then a servant in heaven, wouldn't you agree?"
Unless you want to be a pet of the weaklings calling themselves worthy in battle against the Night Stalkers, you should think about it."

Despite my will to resist, somewhere I'm hesitating. Perhaps I'm not thinking straight or maybe he uses some kind of magic on me. I don't know, and neither can I tell.

"I'll give you some time to think about it" he says and walks away to the door. Leaving me alone with my thoughts...
.

.

.
Deon and Liam are at their tower of the Ascendant Order. Ever since the attack and your dissapearce they were called back. While the Sanctum Council needs to help the people and fix the damage in the walls, the Ascendant Order plans on rising again.

Liam and Deon wait patiently in the room. They can't help but be worried about you. They knew you're alive and they were planning on getting you back. But where to start?

"Boys I'm glad you could come", says the head commandor of the Ascendant Order. "This is Captain Maverick" he says pointing behind a man behind them. They both look shocked, since Captain Maverick only was called for the most important missions, outside the borders of town.

"We're going to get [name] back. And the Captain is going to assist you", the commandor says. "Wait... as in... we're going outside the borders?" Says Deon. "Yes" says the commandor with confidence. "The Ascendant Order needs back their original glory. We're going outside the borders, and put all of our strength to get [name] back. No matter the cost..."