Chapter 7 • Walls

I sit down, tears still streaming down my face. They're warm against my skin. Why was I even crying?

Poor Jinte... she sacrificed herself for me. And I just watched her die. No... I was forced to watch her die. I was forced to see all my friends die, to see other people kill each other. Killed or be killed...

Everyone speaks so fond of the dawn breakers. But it was clear that they didn't know everything. They only saw the picture, where everyone is forced to smile. They don't know what we've been through!

My hair falls in my wet face, and some straws stick onto it. Thin and weak sunbeams start to light up the cold, stoned walls before me. The silence is comforting in a way. There is nothing. No birds, no people, no animals. Just me and walls. I take a deep breath, and I start to calm down.

In the end, the Ascendant Order got what it wanted... me to fight. That poor man, I broke his arm probably...

"Ah, there you are!"A familiar cheery voice reaches my ears. Knowing who it is, I don't bother to look back. Deon stands beside me. "You made quite a scene over there. But the good news is, it can't be worse, right?"he chuckles enthusiastically. I don't reply, I look down and play with my fingers. Deon's smile fades away at my reaction and becomes serious. He sits next to me, having a sad smile on his face. "So uh... Are you okay?"he asks. I still look at the ground before opening my mouth. "I'm fine." My voice didn't change, no hint of emotion in it. Deon seems to notice that as he just looks forward.

"Why is everyone so scared of me?"I ask. My eyes are locked with Deon's, who has a slight suprise on his face. "I dont think that's the biggest problem at the moment," he says vaguely. I frown.

Why does no one want to tell me what's going on? How did I ge there? Why don't I have memories?

"You know, [name]. Now, bad memories come up the surface, but I'm sure good memories will as well. It's always the negative ones a human remembers." Before I reply, I hear the door creaks open. "Are you done yet?"Caius voice interrupts our conversation. He folds his arms together with a slight glare on his face. "Listen, girl, bad things happen, but you need to get over it. So get your ass up."
"That's very insensitive, Caius," says Liams genlte voice. Caius just scoffs and leaves.

There is a haunting silence between the three of us till I decide to break it. I get up, my arms hanging beside my body like a puppet that isn't controlled anymore. "I go for a walk. I'll see you guys later."
"Don't go outside of the Sanctum Council's property. They've got the order to kill you if you will, "yells Deon behind me, which causes me to frown annoyedly.
.

.

.
I'm surrounded by the forest. Green grass grows under my feet. It's the only place on earth left that is enough to call a forest. A small one, at least...
I see from afar the wall, the wall they keep to protect themselves. It always had to be wall, doesn't it?
My feet continue to drag me in the direction of the depressing grey structure. I stop when it's right in front of me. I need to look up 90 degrees in order to catch a glimpse of the blue sky.

"This is just sad..."

Suddenly, I hear footsteps coming towards me. I turn around to see the captain. His white banging over his face as he has a grin carved on his lips. "I wondered where you were," he says. He shakes the dirt of his perfect white uniform and smiles. He looks up and down the wall and then at me. "That's right..."he starts. "Back in your day, there weren't any walls."
"When exactly was my day?"I ask curiously.
"About 200 hundred years ago, back then when the Night Stalkers were born. In less than a month, the 8 billion people became just a few hundred in no time. Dawnbreakers existed for maybe a couple of months before they all died."
I'm quiet, not really knowing what to answer to that. "And their information lies beyond this wall?"I ask, turning back to the captain.
"Aye, unfortunately. Not just beyond the wall but far, very far beyond the wall. Back into the big cities, it squirms full of those nasty creatures", the captian puts his hand in his hair before letting out a long sigh. "I really don't get why someone would make this," he says. "Night Stalkers were made?"
"Aye... no one knows why..."
The captain turns away and starts walking back towards the quarters. I decided to follow him.

It's not like I can't do anything else anyway.

Besides, he is the only one who shuts up about what responsibilities I need to carry as a 'Dawnbreaker'.

"Why are you with the Sanctum Council?"I ask in curiosity. We continue to walk when I ask the question. However, something shifts in his look. But I can't describe what it is. "My... uh brother died of a night stalker,"he finally says. "Oh... I'm sorry I didn't know, "I say. "Ah, no problem. I'm used to it, "he suddenly stops walking. Fixing his gaze on me and smiles. "I need to ask something as well," he says. His voice sounds serious as his eyes pierce through mine. "Back at the trail... why were you so cooperative?"
"I was scared and confused. I had no idea what to do, honestly", I reply. The captain quickly nods.

"We should head back..."