Chapter 9 • Encounter

The alarm goes off, like a school alarm when we practice for bomb warnings.

Me and Julia run together to the closest practice room. When we open the door everyone is already running around to put on their uniforms and to collect their weapons.

The commander walks in, shouting around. "Take your weapons! Team 4 takes the cannons and team 7 comes with me, the rest of you: prepare yourselves!" He shouts.

"Commander!", I say and jog up to him. "Is there something I can do?"
The commander looks at me with a stern expression. "Yes, you can. Follow Caspian with team 4. Let's introduce them without our friend." He gives me a confident smile, grabs a Blazer, and leads team 7 away.

My eyes scan the weapon chamber for Caspian. In the corner with a large group, Caspian stands straight towering over them all. He also is wearing his uniform. It's hugging his body quite well with some places covered with armor. His beautiful dark eyes meet mine and he nods shortly.

I follow them, we march upon the wall. The vieuw spreads out over a dead and dark landscape. No tree has been able to grow leaves, no sign of grass—only dirt mixed with bones or blood. There is no sign of life or any other color than black and brown. Not even the sky shows its beautiful blue color, only grey clouds that look like it will rain soon.

I stand next to Caspian, who just gave orders to the rest of the team. His dark hair hangs loosely over his shoulder with a stoic expression on his face. His eyes meet mine for a second before his face softens. Then he looks over the wall to the recruits before turning around to see the dead landscape. "It's sad...", I tell him and glance at him. "I know...", he says silently. 

With that, he places a hand on my shoulder. "Choose a weapon, you are going to fight", he says and takes his leave to follow his team, since he's the team leader after all. I do as he says and take one of the weapons that I went quite well with the training of Caius. It's a kind of saber, that looks like the sword of a pirate and a small pocket knife that I hide underneath my jacket. While others take guns I somehow prefer a knife. 

It feels safer and more familiar for some reason...

I take a last look at the landscape, feeling sorry for what happened. I failed to protect it after all. After I took my weapons, I make my way to the rest of the recruits who stand in position. I recognize Julia and stand next to her in silence. Before I can ask what we're doing, the door flies open and everyone sprints to the naked landscape. I can't help but stand still, an anxious feeling growing inside me. When everyone passed me with their battle screams, I stand alone before the open door. 

It's going to happen now... I will finally see what a Night Stalker looks like...

I make my way, walking carefully. My boots hit the dirty sand and mud that sticks to my boot. It makes also creaking sounds underneath the sole of my foot. I see everyone running in all directions in different teams. I take my courage and want to sprint after them but a hand stops me. I look startled next to me. "Don't", he says. It's a young man that I haven't seen before. He looks different somehow. He is not wearing a uniform from the Sanctum Council or The Ascendant Order. He has long white hair in a braid and glowing yellow eyes. He wears special white clothing, It's a design that a knight would be wearing, only it isn't made of metal but rather from expensive white silk with silver patterns. He gives me a sly smile as he looks down at me. "You only get yourself killed", he adds. He does a sign to follow him and walks away with his back to me. I look a bit unsure around me but decide to follow the mysterious handsome man anyway. 

We walk back to the base of the Sanctum Council, but it's empty. No soldiers or other people, they all are on the battlefield. We walk through the empty halls. "Who are you?", I ask while jogging to catch up behind him. Suddenly the young man turns and leads us to a massive room that seems to be a kind of hall where parties are held. It has two doors on each side and the rest of the walls are covered with massive windows and long red curtains. He lets me go through first while he opens the door for me. 

I get in and close the door after him. Now the peace in this room settles, as a comforting atmosphere and the man's sly smile changes into a  kind, warm one. "Do you remember me?", he asks. I shake my head. "No, sorry" "It's alright", he replies. However, I still can see the sadness in his eyes but he tries to cover it with his smile. "We started off the wrong foot anyway, maybe it is better to start again", he says. 

What is he talking about?

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. The man smirks again and seems to be back in his normal state. "The name is Dagian Solester", he says proudly. "Are you from the Sanctum Council?" I ask curiously. Dagian chuckles but there is something dark in it. "No." 

He seems different. The others are harsh and tense all the time like all they ever do is fight. But Dagian is loose and has confidence in everything. But the aura around is dark like something is off...

"Are you then from the Ascendant Ord-" "No, (name). I'm not."

How did he know my name?

Dagian places his hands on my shoulder, his shadow towering over me as a slight rain of sunshine manages to escape through the thick grey clouds. "You know me?", I ask. "Unlike those a pathetic excuse of humans, yes I know you. Maybe even better than you know yourself. And I'm here to get you back where you belong." 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see something black against the wall. What seems to be a sort of liquid. Then Liam's words galm through my head like a long-lost memory. 'Night Stalkers are a sort of liquid that escaped from the laboratory' 

My heart starts to beat rapidly and panic rises in me. When I look back at Dagian he has an evil smirk on his face...