𝟏𝟎 | 𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐋𝐢𝐞

No matter how many times I would repeat it to myself, it always felt less than enough for me to accept the fact that I hate Nicolas more than anyone else or anything in my life

I didn't know him as much as my best friend Aurora does, nor do I have any interest in being on good terms with him, but that doesn't ease the burning feeling that I get every time he is around me—a burn that appears in my chest and then spreads to every nerve in my body like a hellfire being escaped from a spell.

I hate him for being this stubborn.

I hate him for being able to get on my fucking nerves every single time.

I hate him for being able to make my idiotic heart flutter from all his cheesy lines that he plays at me.

And I hate him for having that amount of sincerity in his eyes when he asked me about my family and if everything was okay.

When I left him there, declining to give any explanations or reasons to him for my arrival in LA, I could feel his green eyes hot and burning behind my figure, trailing me until I had completely left the place.

All a fucking show of sympathy.

He, out of all the people I had known in my life till now, would have little interest in my life or how I was. Just like the people who have always wanted me to fall, he was yet another person who just wanted to know the weakest parts about me and then gossip about those, or to hit me in those weaknesses.

After all, he himself gave me the tag of being annoying and arrogant in the past, and maybe he's so talented at faking his emotions that his eyes could do that so well too.

But eyes never lie.

"Shut. Up." I grit to myself, cursing my inner voice from telling me anything otherwise as I remove my coat before hanging it on the hook in my bedroom.

"But I didn't even say anything."

My heart almost leaps out of me when I hear Emma's voice from behind, which makes me turn around hurriedly. "God, Emma!" I gather my breath while she giggles, making her way inside my room. "You almost made me see my grave."

She tuts angrily. "Don't ever say that again, Rachel; that's not a nice thing to say."

A smile forms on my mouth when she shakes her head and sits on the edge of my bed before flashing me a quick glare. "Aw, Emma's mad at me, at her favourite daughter?"

Her eyes soften when I sit beside her, and she looks at me before placing the food tray on the bed. "You are my daughter; that is why I am telling you to never repeat those words ever again."

"Fine..." I place my arms around her form and put my head on her shoulder. "I am sorry. I promise I won't say anything like that again."

Her palm reaches my hair, and she strokes my head gently. "My sweet baby."