𝟐𝟏 | 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

After we all entered our respective cabins, we all took our time to get some rest, refresh, and change for the night

After we all entered our respective cabins, we all took our time to get some rest, refresh, and change for the night. Stacy and James had bought so much food for our barbeque tonight, so we didn't need to worry about our dinner.

By the time the sky became its darkest shade of black and the stars started to shine in their full glory, we all gathered near the campfire that I and James had lit, along with the barbeque now working to grill our chicken.

But my mind wandered off to just one woman present with us—a pair of grey, storming eyes, which took glances at me every now and then while she sat beside Stacy, opposite where I and James took our spot. Something was wrong; I was sure of it. Her look had a certain softness to it that I had never seen before—at least not for me—but it was also accompanied by a hesitation.

I wanted to talk to her and ask if she wanted to say something or if I had done something wrong. But seeing Stacy occupying her too much wasn't helping.

She was here with her boyfriend. Why can't she be with him and let me be with Rachel? I groaned mentally.

Getting up, I poured myself a glass filled with bourbon that I had downed in one go, and the liquid burned my throat. My ears caught Rachel's laughter at something James said to her and Stacy, and I peered around at them, focusing on her, who was holding her stomach and wheezing. The burn spread through my chest like a fire.

She never laughs so hard when I tell terrible jokes around her. I bet James had the worst.

I grabbed the bottle of liquor with me and drank an extra glass before marching towards their direction. Rachel's eyes met mine right away, before James turned around to look at me.

"Do you need a drink?" I pressed my teeth together while giving him a strained smile.

"No." He replied before looking back at the two women and then at me. "I am good."

This time, I didn't hide the glare in my eyes. "No, you are not."

He quirks a brow with an expression that says he understands what I am implying. "Yeah," he stutters. "I think I need one."

"Voilà." I smiled before turning my eyes to where the women sat. "Stacy? Why don't you help James get some drinks and our dinner, if you don't mind?"

"Sure," Stacy piped.

I saw Rachel eyeing me suspiciously, but I waited for the love birds to fly away before I walked around the fire and sat where Stacy had been sitting before.

"Here." I ignore her bewildered face and hand her a drink. "I am thinking you need a drink."

"What was that just now?" She inquires, taking the glass from my hand.

I rolled my eyes, pouring myself a drink. "You had a long journey; I thought you needed some break from all the chit-chat."

"No. James is nice; we were having fun."