Chapter Nine

The sound of footsteps made you look up, able to distinguish the delineation of the warrior as he traipsed towards you - but you glanced away, focusing on the wooden beam being secured into the ground, or at least that was until he was the one occupying your peripheral vision.

As Taehyung drew closer, his movements were oddly alluring and demanded you to look at him. From the sweat glistening on his golden skin and the long, unkempt hair he messily ran his hands through. It made the muscles in his arm flex, a reminder of how much strength he had.

Maybe if you just turned away, he would forget you were there and-

"Why do you stare at me like that, savage?"

He was quick to diffuse your idea, voice resounding in a deep baritone and far too close for your liking. You could practically feel him breathing down your back, yet he was still several feet away.

"Is it wrong of me to look at the face of the barbarian who means to mark my back like the beast he is?"

Taehyung glared at your impassive tone and turned to face the clearing. "What if I told you I have changed my mind?"

"I would not believe you."

You stared at those pulchritudinous features, ingrained in your mind despite him refusing to look at you - he had turned his back, fists clenched. You were confused, trying to make sense of why he had threatened you only to retract his words. But it was only now as you looked closer that you realized what had caught his interest.

In the distance, two figures approached from the edge of the forest, their darkened form captured by the effulgence of the fire.

"Then I will punish your friend instead." He sneered, but still did not turn to look at you. "And I will continue to hurt her until you learn not to run from me."

Yuna.

You couldn't think as you sat there, like the macules of a painting that only existed because of an artist's brush. But how could an artist have painted such a scene, so cruel and malicious as you captured those cerulean eyes in yours?

She did not struggle, skin covered in dirt and clothing torn. But it was her smile that you barely recognized, once so beautiful and vibrant and now forced, as if to reassure you.

"Yuna?"

Callous hands snatched your arm when you pushed yourself to your feet.

"Do not be so stupid, savage. She is not yours to comfort."

The warriors grip tightened around your arm, dragging you across the ground effortlessly despite your struggle.

"Yeonjun?"

The name was barely uttered before you were shoved to the side, feet stumbling before you were caught in the arms of the russet haired man from earlier. His hands were soft, a kindness in his touch despite how he draped his arms around your waist and held you - he whispered reassurance, but it fell upon deaf ears as you were too intent on trying to lunge at the delirious warrior.