Chapter Eight

"The years have not been kind to you, little brother. I did not expect that you would have become so heartless."

Taehyung could discern the way Yeonjun followed him like an obsequious shadow, louring with a ferocity in his eyes that the warrior never thought his brother capable of. Perhaps it was familiar because he had seen the same crazed look in his own eyes at times.

"You call me heartless when you know nothing of being a warrior."

"I know enough that you were not always this way, Tae."

Taehyung glanced downwards, shoulders tense at the tone his brother used when he said his name. If only Yeonjun knew of the things he had seen, how every time he looked at these callous and rough hands of his that he was reminded of the heinous things he had done. He was just a product of violence created by their Father and Yeonjun dared to stand there and tell him of how heartless he had become?

"If you had been shown no love from that brute of a man, you would understand."

"Do you crave Fathers approval so much that you have allowed yourself to become the barbarian that savage girl claims you to be?"

"I do not care about his approval."

"Then you should not let one man's faults turn you into a monster." Yeonjun sighed, "You are loved by many others."

Taehyung turned at the imperativeness in his brother's voice and stared into those dark eyes, searching for something, anything that could discern the truth behind those words, but he knew no matter how much he tried, he couldn't deny it.

He knew nothing of love other than the memory of his Mother's embrace when he was no more than a boy.

Since then, he had learned to forget what love felt like because it was the one thing he had been denied, and it hurt him - hurt him because he knew she still waited for him to return, that he could be loved again, but he could not succumb to such weakness.

How could he expect anyone to love him when he didn't even love himself?

Maybe if Yeonjun knew how he truly felt, he could fathom the vocabulary to actually express this, but instead, he turned to stare into the clearing of the forest, eyebrows furrowed as a multitude of warriors gathered the other captives and set up the whipping post. This is who he was now, a man incapable of anything other than his own hatred.

"I am a warrior, Yeonjun. I know nothing of love nor can I be loved."

"You might think that." The russet haired male frowned, trying to remain placid despite his brother's temperament. "But I know you are only keeping that savage girl in the hope that she will learn to love you."

"It has nothing to do with her."

"Why do you deny it, Tae? I see the way you look at her."