Cetlali nodded and turned to go back into her room. She stopped herself, looking back at Xocthl, "Will you be taking me to him too?"

Xocthl nodded.

Cetlali turned to Lovou, and her gaze softened. Her words bled genuine as she said them, "Thank you for ensuring my safety." He nodded at her. She retreated into the rooms and shut the door on them.

"So..." Xocthl started with a long and cautious lean against the wall.

"Don't fucking start —," Lovou snarled, but Cetlali whipped open her door with a severe look of discombobulation.

"I'm so sorry! Come, wait in my solar while I change." Rushing away, she left her door open.

Frazzle-brained, she headed straight towards her bedroom and shut herself in.

Xocthl sauntered through the door, the image of nonchalance whistling as she glanced around. Lovou followed with stomping feet.

He tried to keep his seething to himself, fighting his urge to slam the door behind him.

He ignored the chittering murmurs of Cetlali coming from her bedroom all the way down the hall. She reasoned with herself as she was wont to do when stressed.

He focused on Xocthl who stood by the table now. Her vantage position was amid two chairs facing each other. Visible in plain sight were the basket in the center of the tabletop, food on one side but not the other. Two cups sat out with a pitcher between them. Lovou grabbed the chair he had occupied earlier, pulling it away from the table and adjusting it as he pleased before he sat down. He acted his heart out, pretending he hadn't just been there.

Xocthl sat down in the chair Cetlali had been in. With curious eyes above her slight grin, she wriggled a bit as she spoke. "Seat's still warm."

Lovou didn't reply, other than a slight gnashing of teeth.

Xocthl sighed loud as she leaned forward, elbows on her knees. "So you came to let her know Ovar was gone?"

"Aye." Lovou barked with restraint.

"That's quite gallant of you to inform her of that so fast. Uroxem is just breaking over the horizon." Xocthl sat back in her chair and ran an idle finger along the edge of the table. "You watch him ride off?"

Lovou sucked on his teeth, scowling at Xocthl. His tone was glaringly droll. "Of course. I bid him farewell with a kiss, a wave, and a favor like any brother would." His snarl dripped with menace. "He's gone, isn't he?"

Xocthl grinned halfway and confirmed it for him, "Aye, he's gone."

Lovou grumbled, feeling a tightness in his chest at Xocthl's wicked tone. She had a pesky habit of jumping to conclusions and indulging in suppositions. He didn't quite care about any ideas people entertained about himself. He'd heard them all, often catered to them, and wasn't about to let Cetlali's dignity get besmirched by yet another Tate. Lovou was not his brother and he would never let himself be.

"When did the Emperor die?" Lovou asked, vying for distraction.

Xocthl looked off, giving an absent scratch at her jaw. "During the waning hours of Oolmaya, between kheirgeon shifts. Ezren received the news right before dawn. Called for you first, but you were nowhere to be found."

Lovou repressed the urge to growl. He had gone to Ezren's rooms after he'd gotten Cetlali somewhat settled, told him she wasn't coming on account of another menacing at the hands of

Ovar. It'd taken him some time to keep Ezren from losing his temper. Lovou had been impatient, blood up and still a bit too drunk.

He'd tamed the wild old fool and keep him from trying to disturb her, at least. Ezren should have known Lovou would hesitate to leave her alone after what happened. That was part of his job. "Ovar went after Cetlali again last night." Xocthl perked up at that, eyes sharp.