12.0

A week had passed since I'd been hit by what I call "The April Flu

A week had passed since I'd been hit by what I call "The April Flu." It was no joke, it really had knocked me flat on my back. April, with her endless energy and caring nature, had taken care of me. She made sure I ate and prepared her little secret cough syrup that seemed like a miracle worker. I swear she needs to put that shit in stores. My baby kept me company when I felt like complete shit. I had to admit, I was loving every moment of her attention, even though Chubbs kept shitting on me, saying I'm being babied.

Now, I was on the mend, probably around 85 percent better, and I was gearing up for March Madness, which was just around the corner. My boys had been working hard and putting in that work at practice. I definitely have high hopes for our upcoming games. As I walked into the gym, I noticed a couple of my star players, Isaiah and Xavier, acting a bit off.

"Okay, let's run that back. Isaiah and Xavier, I'm not liking what I'm seeing, what's going on between you two?" I asked addressing the two best players. They exchanged glances. 

" Nothing Coach, everything is good." It didn't feel right, and I knew that something was up.

"It doesn't seem like it. Now is not the time to bring your personal problems with each other on my court. I've told you all countless times not to let your off-court issues affect your performance here," I emphasized.

" Coach I swear, everything is cool," Xavier says. Both assured me everything was fine, but it still didn't sit well with me.

"Alright, run those laps," I instructed, hoping the physical exertion might shake off whatever was bothering them. As they started their laps, I stepped aside with Steph

"I bet it's about a girl," Steph chuckled, nodding toward the two players running laps.

"It's always either that or money," I said. These sorts of conflicts among players were par for the course.

"So, what's the latest with Juanzo?" Steph asked, changing the subject. I sighed, my thoughts briefly shifting to Zo, who was dealing with a different set of issues.

"He's okay, but unfortunately, he's on house arrest. Court date's coming up on Friday. We'll see how it goes," I replied, hoping for a positive outcome.

"Any negative chatter about it?" Steph asked Surprisingly, there hadn't been any negative talk about Juanzo's situation within the school. Of course, it was on Social media but I think when I did that press conference and not bringing attention to the situation, that did some good.

"Surprisingly, no. No one's mentioned anything to me. And it's a good thing he hasn't officially committed here yet. So far, there's been no bad press focusing on the school, but I can guarantee that the higher-ups are watching."  I explained but I was definitely relieved that things hadn't escalated in the media that bad.

After a few long hours of practice, I headed home, talking to April. I called her on FaceTime when I got in the car, but she was preoccupied with her girls.