11.0

A couple of days later, I was waiting with my lawyer for Zo to get released

A couple of days later, I was waiting with my lawyer for Zo to get released. We had been at this juvenile detention facility for about two hours. I was nervous, thinking that maybe the judge had changed his mind about releasing him until his court date. Of course, I was texting back and forth with Aubrey.

"Baby, just breathe. I'm sure they're just going through a process. He'll be out soon," he texted reassuringly. Aubrey was working even though he was feeling a little under the weather. I had FaceTimed him earlier while he was driving, and his red cheeks, red nose, and constant sniffles had me feeling bad. I told him not to get close to me, but did he listen? Nope.

After a few more minutes, Juanzo walked out with a frown until he saw me.

"Ma!" He ran up to me, dropping the papers he was holding and hugging me, his tall frame hovering over me.

"Aw, baby, are you okay?" I asked, and he nodded and turned to speak to David.

His probation officer walked over to me. "Hello, Miss Phillips. The house arrest starts right now. We'll follow you with Juanzo, and we'll explain more about what can and can't be done," the P.O. said.

"Is it necessary for him to have to arrive home in the back of a police car?" I asked,

"Ma'am, this is how things are," he said. I decided not to push it further with this officer, kissed Juanzo's cheek, and we all made our exit. Grabbing my phone I sent Aubrey a text.

"Aub, we're on our way home. His probation officer will be there to help with the ankle monitor process. Ugh, I'm still upset. I feel like a failed parent."

Just before I arrived home, I received a reply from Aubrey.

"This is definitely going to be a process for him but also a learning experience. I know you still feel like you failed, but you didn't. Don't even think that, baby. You actually being there through this shows that you haven't failed. I've seen this, baby! Some parents don't care at all. Look at it this way. Who's the first face he saw when he walked out? Yours! Where's his father!? Don't think like that at all, baby. I'll see you in a little bit. Mask and all!" I read his text with a smile.

"Ugh, why is he this way?" I said to myself.

After about two hours, everything was set, and Juanzo officially had the ankle monitor on. He could only go to school or doctor's appointments. He was miserable already, but he needed to learn from his mistakes. Even though he didn't know what he had taken, he should have known better than to accept anything from someone he barely knew.

My parents gave him a good talking-to while he sat on the couch looking like somebody had stolen his dog. He apologized to me for not thinking and for not making the right decision.

I had just finished dinner when my doorbell rang. My parents had gone to dinner while Zo was moping around. I walked to the door and opened it to see Aubrey with a hood over his head. He looked like he was going through it.