0.8

A few months had passed since that night in my office, and April and I had been making the most of whatever time we could snatch between our busy lives

A few months had passed since that night in my office, and April and I had been making the most of whatever time we could snatch between our busy lives. The routine had become familiar and comforting, and despite the constraints of our schedules, we found ways to stay connected.

I continue to send her flowers every Wednesday, just a small but meaningful gesture to remind her of my feelings. We're not officially together just yet but we're moving toward that. Right now, I'm on the road with my basketball team for an away game. March madness was just around the corner, and I was laser-focused on getting my team there.

"Let's bring it in, boys!" I called to my players, a mix of determination and pride in my voice. I inherited this coaching role from my father five years ago, and we have won every championship since. It wasn't always easy. many had doubted me and questioned my abilities, but I had proven them wrong time and time again.

" Now we all know that this game tomorrow means a lot! We're up against one of our biggest rivals, and I know the intensity will be high.  These away games come with their fair share of trash talk and distractions, but I trust my boys, my team! I know y'all will stay focused." I looked around at my boys, all of them nodding. Before leaving, my captain gave one of his talks too.

After practice, we were headed back to the hotel on the bus, the weariness settling in. It was 10:30 PM, and I couldn't help but think about April. I knew she was likely still awake. I checked my messages and then decided to FaceTime her. She picked up after a few rings, and her face appeared on my screen, illuminated by the soft glow of her room.

"Hey, Coach," she greeted me with a smile.

"Hey, Ms. Phillips," I replied, smirking in return. She adjusted her TV's volume and turned her attention back to our conversation.

"Practice is over?" she asked.

"Yeah, we're on our way back to the hotel. Were you asleep?" I inquired, feeling genuinely curious. She propped her phone up so that she could put her hair up. I took that time to admire her natural beauty.

"No, I was watching a movie.  I'm catching a cold," she said, her voice sounding a bit congested.

" Aw, my baby is sick?"

"Yea, achy and stuffy nose. Getting that tingling feeling in my throat." Concern filled me after she said that. 

"Aww, you want me to come back and take care of you?" I suggested playfully. April waved me off.

"Oh please," she said, rolling her eyes.

"How are you feeling, though?" She asked while looking away. I shrugged, even though she couldn't see me.

"Tired as hell, to be honest. These away games can be draining." The noise from my players on the bus grew louder, prompting me to turn up my phone's volume.