Pilot.2

And a couple more minutes later Cain gathers himself to speak again. “Well, you see I’m not well-prepared as you came very… uninvited”
“Oh, no. I did write you a letter about my arrival today”

There’s a table in the living room with comically large piled unopened letters.

“Ah,”

Cain more than controlled by lust, pride, or greed as often accused of, is rather weakest for sloth. He spends his precious time whether in his room or his couch for a little change of environment. At times if Nadya can convince him, he may take a stroll down his orchard. He does not open letters cause that will mean having to interact with people. Which is very hard considering they are people.
Anyways, now for what mattered- Icarus pouting upon knowing his letter written with sincere efforts had not been read. And over that, accused of not maintaining formality. Cain, who’ve had to deal with Icarus pouting for a few decades now had no mind for consoling Icarus such late at night.
“How about we close for tonight, eh?” Cain proposes with very anxiety, “I'll read your letter the first thing in the morning and we’ll resume our- um discussion sort.”
“Be it the plan then”

*

In the early morning of July, the sun rises a bit earlier than usual. Cain wakes up before the sunrise of summer. He likes to witness the dread in the cold early morning with the thought that’ll keep him going for the day. ‘The sun shines soon'.

The pile of letters now moved to the chamber of Cain. Put on his reading glasses solely cause he thinks he looks nifty in them. And started to rummage through the pile. Once, for every letter Icarus wrote to Cain, he sealed it with a metallic gorgeous gold. And put a flower on it. Icarus' letters though no longer had the chamomiles or dandelions, rather had a print of the tree of life and sealed off with a nasty emerald color of the Eastern Coat. Cain had seen such a seal so many times. And grown to become brave enough to no longer hide his pure hatred for it. Now the letter was not hard to find, for Cain's certain hate towards the specific seal. Also it was right on the top. Icarus writes so sweetly with-“Dearest of all”
And closes even sweeter,
“Your dearest,”
Cain and Icarus were born in the same year. And despite both having completely different aging, they grew up as other humans would, together at the same pace. Met at a gunfight. Cain was a rich man at 17. He studied literature and wrote poems. Quite far from his father’s well-organized life of crime. Young Vinogradov Jr. tried to teach his son the ways of the underground, to which Cain’s mum said “Honey, he’s four” and so his father let him be the young boy he was. Icarus on the other hand was thrashed with a whip by the elder men who taught him how to swing a sword or fire a gun. So when caught in the gunfight between their fathers, Cain held his hand for Icarus to join him to for a dance. And write poems with him. Though terrible poems, genuine effort was put into it by the silly grumpy Icarus who had a scar on his face. He wrote them in a unique purple ink. And he wrote so gently with one stroke for each letter. He sealed them with a carmine red seal as he preferred and at times a metallic gold as his dearest friend preferred. Sprayed his perfume.  And sent them to Cain who lived a few blocks away. And Cain instead of writing back immortalizes it by sealing it in a glass frame. Nothing lasts forever. But he wanted it to last as long as he did. Those frames broken and lost now. And a burn scar on Cain's arm who ran back to his mansion which was in flames to retrieve Icarus's letters. Now the letters gone and his skin flawed cause beneath it all Cain loved Icarus.
He reads the said letter after having an elongated reminiscence on old times. “I'm arriving. September 20th. I’ve been hired to assist you to Eastern Gate, by your late father” he writes. “Pack bags” at the very end of it. Oh, that fucker Cain says to himself referring to both Icarus, his father, and his unfortunate fate. Cain’s father babied his boy till his death. Cain's only means of freedom came when his father very early on in his life, had been neglectful. Also when he was mentored by Bonnet. But we don’t talk about Bonnet. However despite all Cain loved being babied. He loved all his work being done with a snap. And he loved the security his father gave. But very less loved father’s control over his life. And even after death, he still has to deal with his father’s wishes while having to deal with a very dear friend he once turned his back on.
“Morning, dear” greets Cain. Holding a teacup and looking posh in it. He sets a table in the garden for breakfast like the classy man he is. And welcomes Icarus, who wakes up to be all dispirited if the sun's hasn’t risen in the most gorgeous way. “Morning,” he says. Sits in the Vinogradovs' old white painted iron chairs whose paint has started to wear off. And Icarus is a big man for the tiny fancy chair. He’s a demigod after all.
“When are we leaving?”
“Today”
“I can’t. No. Not today”
“our train, Cain. Trains and buses and all…”
“Yes?”
“…are booked”
He takes a sip. And Nadya brings them their sunnyside-ups. “I’ll pay you for all the damages”
“I can’t just”
“I’ll pay twice as much as my father did”
“You can't buy me off,” Icarus says, now rather angrier.
“Oh name a price”. It all went quiet. And an annoying clicking sound of the silverware took over. Cain had his breakfast. And Icarus who showed no interest in having his part. He pouts again. Crosses his arms and stares at Cain… just eating.
“I have something,”
“Yes, I can see that”
“Oh, no. not the insanity. I got that all treated” chuckles at his own jokes before returning again to say “No, I am to receive a letter”
“Oh a letter now?”
“It’s my doctor”
“Sure”
“This is something important”
“uh huh”
“crucially important. I mean, I haven’t left for the East Coast yet for a reason, of course”
“You haven't left for the East Coast cause you hate your family”
“Good point,”
“Cain,” says Icarus now softening, almost alluringly “I gave your father my word. My word to keep you safe”
That afternoon Cain packed his stuff. Despite the hatred he had for both his father and Icarus, underneath it all, Cain loved very dearly. Underneath it all Cain loved all more than he loved himself. So he puts his proper clothes in a large, again garnet trunk with gold latch. And a gold plate that had his name on it. No longer as ‘Cain' was scratched out and ‘Vinogradov' partially stayed and could still be read. Their carriage waited outside. Actually quite far from the main gate. Cain likes his visitors to have a stroll before interrupting their way into his life. Cain entertains. Now entertained himself.
Icarus settled their luggage on the carriage and waited under an umbrella. He dressed in posh clothes as Cain wears. And braided his unnaturally red hair into patterns that of a Victorian upper-class lady. He looked gorgeous for a fancy-dressed maiden. And hideous for a soldier. He always looks hideous for a royalty knight. He doesn’t take his job seriously, which may or may not be Cain’s influence. And if you wish to picture what Cain dressed like- Cain dresses Goth. There’s nothing more to it.
Cain calls for Nadya for the last time before leaving the house. He calls for Nadya very often, sometimes out of boredom. And she always answers. Not today though. She was at the opposite side of the manor receiving letters on behalf of Cain. This letter wore bright red. Dr. Boletché hosts his letters in red envelopes so whoever's receiving them knows their importance. And Nadya knew well. Nadya starts her run to reach the other end where Cain stands ready to leave for East Coast. He accompanies Icarus now under the umbrella and compliments Icarus's posh attire.
“We should get going”
“No,” Cain squints his at Nadya who’s running at her best speed now. “I feel something important's coming”
“Is she alright?” raised concern by Icarus who was curelessly watching Nadya tip and sprint across the yard.
“Yeah, no, she’s just like that” She indeed is just like that. She raises the envelope high for it to catch the sight of Cain. It did. And alongside it caught the sight of Icarus, who too knew by whom it was. Everyone knows. Boletché's a madman. And everyone knows a madman.
“Oh god, yes!” gives a big sigh. Cain always sighs.