Enough

Over a light brunch, Nicholas recounted the story of how he and Aurora left Europe. The encounters they had and their plans for the future. In his retelling, they were a couple madly in love until Logan broke them up. He explained that Aurora was pregnant while in Aruba and that Logan had enticed her to leave him and pretended to be Francesco's father. Sophia interrupted his babbling to give Luciano an update.

"Sir, I'm moving her to Solna." Sophia called across the dining room. "Apart from her treatment being delayed," she glared at Nicholas. "She was off her medication for more than a week and was wrongly diagnosed and treated recently. Her condition's deteriorating rapidly."

"My piccola." Claudia started out of her seat, but Luciano grabbed her arm and nodded at Sophia.

"Wrong treatment? The doctor assured me she would be fine with some rest." Nicholas said defensively.

Luciano gave the younger man a chilling glare.

"Uh...that's... I hope we can fix this misunderstanding. I didn't know Aurora was sick. As Adam's father—"

"My assistant said when he met you last year, you were certain Logan was the cause of my daughter's ailment." Luciano stated coldly.

"Yes, he is. She was fine before he took her from me."

"Yet, now you say you did not know she was ill."

Nicholas stayed quiet as he worked his way out of the corner he was trapped in. "Father, I... I'm sorry. This is a misunderstanding. I did not think the doctor would lie to me. He said she didn't need a hospital; I had her rushed to one because her recovery was slow. But he will pay for what he's done."

"I can vouch for my son. He called me distressed days ago to help him secure a luxury room and a team at a hospital." Raul added.

Nicholas' nodded enthusiastically at his father's defence. As Francesco watched the scene in front of him play out, his grandfather's lesson came to mind. Now, he felt disappointed at his parents fear of Nicholas.

"As Adam's father, I've missed too much of his life. Our Oliveria and Baggio families already share blood. It's time we made things right."

"I agree with my son." Raul began. "We arranged their marriage when they were fifteen. Knowing I have a grandson and missed out on his childhood is disappointing. I look forward to knowing him."

Luciano gave a slow nod. "Indeed."

Nicholas and his parents exchanged happy looks and celebrated the new addition to their family. The Oliveria couple berated Logan for undermining Nicholas and Aurora's relationship. They accused him of kidnapping, fraud, and manipulation. They threatened Logan with legal action, promising that he would regret making an enemy of both families and ruining their cooperation.

But the couple did not let Logan's presence ruin their joyous mood. They talked non-stop about the things Francesco should learn and experience. They made plans for vacations and family gatherings. Claudia threw her husband a disgusted look, but he ignored her. When Frieda engaged Claudia as a fellow grandmother, her expression shifted from hostile to friendly. The other woman kept Claudia engaged, curiously questioning her interactions with their grandson. Raul, too, engaged Luciano in a similar fashion.

Francesco kept his stare on his grandfather. Every word Luciano spoke since they sat down was done carefully and deliberately. His face remained expressionless and unreadable, though his voice carried emotion.

The maids cleared their dishes, and new maids entered with tea. The maid pouring his cup seemed familiar from the corner of his eyes. It didn't help that she was looking directly at him and smiling. Francesco glanced angrily at the woman. The boy's eyes lit up.

"Stella?!" The boy exclaimed.

The adults turned at Francesco's outburst. Nicholas paled at the sight of Stella, while everyone else was confused. Luciano, on the other hand, remained unbothered.

"You're safe." The boy breathed happily.

"I'm grateful for your concern, sir." Stella smiled.

"Francesco, son, You know this maid?" Frieda asked.

"She's my personal maid. She was with me when I was kidnapped."

Nicholas' parents and Claudia glanced at him with suspicion, as his recounting of the events did not imply he had kidnapped Francesco.

"Adam, son, your choice of words. It was a misunderstanding. And that maid punched me out cold before disappearing. I'm wearing make-up to hide the damage." Nicholas defended himself.

"You tried to force yourself onto me," Stella added.

"I did not."

At their son's denial, Nicholas' parents were up in arms against Stella, insulting her and accusing her of slandering their son.

"You. A maid! He has Aurora; why would he look at you? What are you after?! Money? Fame?" Frieda demanded.

"I believe Stella." Francesco said defiantly to his new grandmother.

"Francesco, son, these people are always up to no good. They will manipulate you to get ahead, like that man." She indicated to Logan.

"That woman," Luciano started loudly. "is a former special forces officer I hired to be Francesco's hidden guard."

Francesco looked up at Stella, surprised. Stella winked at the boy looking at her. Dima would go crazy.

Nicholas changed his tone immediately. "Well, I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Thank you for protecting my son." He gave a short bow.

"And Francesco isn't your son." Luciano declared.

Now everyone turned to Luciano, surprised and waiting for an explanation.

"Father, with all due respect—"

Luciano got up from his chair. "You knew my daughter intimately for ten years. Not once was she pregnant for you. She had one encounter with Logan and was pregnant."

Nicholas laughed nervously. "Aurora and I were together before and after. We can take a paternity test. I'll prove it."

"I've already confirmed; he's Francesco's biological father."

Logan looked up at Luciano, confused. "What do you mean? I haven't taken a paternity test."

"Dr. Van de Merwe retrieved samples from all three of you, and I confirmed that Francesco was indeed your son and my grandson."