T h i r t y-n i n e

Dominic POV

My gloved hand catches the bag as it swings back with force. I let it go and grab the hem of my shirt to wipe the sweat dripping from my scalp. My chest heaves with my jagged breaths. I pull the velcro straps and pull off my gloves, letting them drop underneath the bag.

On my way back to the locker room a few of my gym buddies nod or dap me up as I pass them.

In the empty locker room, I sit on the bench and take a deep breath. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I turn down my music and check for any messages.

Well, any from Elora.

Disappointed, I put my phone back in my pocket and open my locker. After putting my sweatsuit back on I slip on my backpack and jog back to my complex. Once I enter the garage I feel my phone buzzing with a call.

"Yo."

"Aye, nigga what you doing? I'm coming over," Tyson says over the crackling line. I can tell I'm on his Bluetooth in the car.

"You ain't got nothing better to do?" I ask sarcastically, knowing I don't either.

"Nigga my girl ain't here, duh. Chill on me and roll up before I get there." Tyson hangs up the phone leaving me standing at my door staring at my phone in confusion.

I sigh and step into my place, hanging up the keys on my hook. I shower and dress in time for Tyson's knock. I open the door and he comes in getting comfortable.

"Aye, where the blunt?"

"Don't you got weed?" I walk to my stash box to get out my rolling stuff.

"Damn nigga I asked you for one thing. I see why Lo always mad at you." He chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "Don't start."

I sit across from him and begin rolling in silence. Only a few moments pass before he fills it.

"What you been doing today?" He asks while scrolling through his phone.

I shrug. "Shit. Gym. I got a Zoom meeting with the realtor out in Cali on Friday before we go get the girls. He just sent the paperwork a few hours ago so me and my lawyer can look over them."

His eyes light up. "Aye, that's cool, why you saying it like shit don't mean nothing? Something ain't right with the paperwork?"

I shake my head and shrug. "I'm excited, I definitely need to start booking flights to go through to check on progress."

"Shit let me come out there with you. I ain't been on the West Coast in so long."

"For what? Nity gone have my head for bringing you out there to fuck on your west coast roster."

He sucks his teeth at me. "Man ain't nobody tryna cheat on her."

I sit back in fake shock and jokingly hold my hand to my chest. "I don't think I've ever heard you say that."

I put the blunt between my lips to light it. Letting the smoke cloud my face.

"I mean...I don't know man." He shakes his head and takes the blunt from my outstretched hand.

"Nah what's up?"

He shakes his head and hits the blunt. "Look can you be serious for a minute?"

I straighten up and give him my undivided attention.

"I don't get it. I'm over here sick as fuck. I didn't think her being gone for a few days was gone make me feel like this. I miss her for real. I've been trying not to think about it too much, and distract myself. But I keep wondering what she's doing if she's enjoying herself, if she misses me too."