T h i r t y-t w o

Dominic POV

Steph, our waiter, sets our drinks on the table and proceeds to take our orders.

"I'll try the oxtail grilled cheese, I saw it on TikTok. The fries are fine for the side, thank you." Julissia smiles up at him as she hands him her menu.

"Let me get the chicken sandwich with fries. Preciate it." I hand him my menu. He nods and turns away to leave.

I brought my little sister to Fat Foal out in Brooklyn to give her a taste of good East Side food. Also taking advantage of the little bit of time she has off from school.

"How's school, you know I got to ask." I chuckle.

She rolls her eyes and sweeps her locs over her shoulder. "It's okay, my classes are hard of course but I'm making it through. This one teacher is seriously making me regret this whole major but he claims he's 'preparing us for greatness', I call it professor brutality."

A laugh ripples through me, "Do you need help with anything? I mean, academics was never really my strong suit but I could probably help find someone. And you can come stay with me if you want a break. I can send you some money when you need it. Just let me know."

"Look, being a full-time college student is a lot. I will surely take any help I can get." she laughs and daps me up over the table.

"Shit I got you." I laugh with her. "Well shit, besides school, what's going on? You talking to somebody? You just coolin with your college homegirls?"

She immediately rolls her eyes. "Uh oh. That's not good." I chuckle.

"Okay so boom. Freshman year me and this dude TJ start fucking around and it's chill, I'm just getting on campus I'm not trying to be tied down already."

I nod and shrug. "Valid."

"So we just chilling and he starts saying I don't really fuck with him and all that bullshit. And we from the same place, so over that summer we was still together and was getting closer. So I'm thinking okay he's been doing all this boyfriend shit, we finna be back on campus and have to focus on school so we may not stay together. But no, we came back and he steady on my phone, tryna walk me to class, asking me to spend the night with him because he got an apartment sophomore year. But like once September hit? He fell back and started acting like I was on his dick the whole time-"

Steph stands awkwardly by the table holding out plates. His expression shows he definitely heard her last few words.

"Uh, oxtail grilled cheese," he says with a bright red growing on his cheeks.

"Thank you!" she gives a wide smile to try to make the moment less weird.

"Thanks." I nod.

"D-do you need anything else?"

We shake our heads and we rush away.

"Poor baby, I hope this isn't his first job." she pops a fry in her mouth and moans. "Damn this is good, hold on. Let me try this grilled cheese."

Her eyes roll in the back of her head when she bites it. "Mhm, I told you this spot was elite. Not so much a hidden gem anymore."

"I get it, TikTok is a new vessel. Nothing stays secret for too long."

"But back to ya lil' boy problems," I reel her back in.

"Yeah, so he acting like I'm thirsty over him. Him! So I said fuck that and fell back too. I was being so dry with him and he start tripping again. Fast forward to like Halloween and he telling people I broke his heart. I just let them think whatever until I found out he had a whole baby back home. How do you hide a whole baby? Excuse me, a whole 3 year old."

My chicken almost catches in my throat. "Yo, what?"

"Yeah, so niggas not getting the time of day or night from me."

"Damn, he ruined it for everybody." I laugh.

"He sure did. But I still have a little sneaky link here and there."

I roll my eyes. "I hate that term, who the hell you sneaking from?"

"My grandaddy! He's an alumn and I can't get caught with just anybody."

"Okay Princess, but I get it, shit like that would turn me off too. Let me know if the nigga keep bugging you though."

"Aw, that's sweet. I've always wanted a big brother. I appreciate you," she beams.

"I always wanted to find my little sister." I smile back.

"How's Elora?"  

I don't try to fight the smile that spreads on my lips when I hear her name. I lick my lips before speaking. "She good. Steady working even though she needs to sit her ass down somewhere."

Julissia laughs. "Look at you sounding like somebody daddy already."

I suck my teeth and wave her off.

"I'm happy for you D, she really makes you happy. And I can't wait to be an Auntie!"

I look down at my hands and let out a deep sigh. "Yeah."

"What's wrong?"

I debate whether or not to tell her the truth. For years I've wanted to have someone close I could trust with anything. My friends had their siblings and I've been jealous of that relationship. Now I have the opportunity to build that.

"Uh, the truth is, we just found out the baby could be her ex's. We went to the doctor about a week ago to get a paternity test done. I'm just waiting to get the call."

"Dominic, oh my God. Are you okay?" she presses a hand to her chest.

"Shit, no." I laugh lightly. "This is the worst feeling in the world. I never thought I could want something so bad."

"Honestly, I don't even know what to say. I can't lie, I really hope it's yours. We just met, but I can see how much Elora loves you. And you love her. Right?"

I nod. "More than anything."

"Well where does this leave y'all?" she sips her drink.

"Nowhere. Limbo. We not even together. We agreed if the baby isn't mine we'll go our separate ways."

"And if it is?"

"Then we'll try out being together."

"Really?" she asks with a smile spreading on her face.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, it'd be better to try while she's still pregnant or while they still young. I'd hate to have to explain to my kids why mommy and daddy don't talk."

"That's very smart, it's good y'all are being mature about this."

"Yeah, I just...what if it's not mine? What am I gonna do? What am I supposed to tell my family?"

"I- oh, I think that's you." she's interrupted by the ringing of a phone and glances down at the table to check her own.

"Oh," I fish my phone out of my front pocket and see an unknown number. I answer it hesitantly. "Hello?"

"Hi! I'm trying to reach Mr.Dominic Youri."

"Speaking," I say plainly.

"Hi Mr.Youri, I'm calling to discuss the results of the paternity test you took with us. Is this a good time? This won't take long."

"Uh," I lock eyes with Julissia and she waves me off to continue. "Yes."

"Great, congratulations you are 99.999% the father. If you would like to see the paperwork yourself a copy is being emailed to you shortly. Are there any questions you have for me?"

"I- uh, no, thank you."

"Of course, have a great rest of your day." The phone clicks and hangs up.

"Who was that? Why you look like you're about to cry?"

"It's mine."

"What?" She almost yells.

"The baby," I say breathlessly. I slump down in my chair and let the relief wash over me.