The first girl, who looks about seven, is wearing a fox onesie and has shoulder-length brown hair and freckles. The second person, who looks the same age, is wearing a green dinosaur onesie and has short brown hair in a pixie cut.

"This is Robin," she says, gesturing toward the girl in the fox onesie. "And this is Alex." She points at the person in the dinosaur onesie.

"I'm Cameron," I say, waving timidly.

"You can tell her about your pronouns," Clover whispers to Alex.

Alex walks up to me, taps my arm, and I crouch down to the kid's level. "I'm non-binary," Alex says excitedly.

"That's awesome! What are your pronouns?"

"They/them," Alex says.

I smile. "Nice to meet you!"

Alex smiles and gives me a hug, and I relax in their soft embrace. When we pull apart, Clover grins at me, giving me a look that asks if I'd like to go back to her room, and I nod.

On our way, she stops to knock at another door, one that has a sign that says CODI'S ROOM. The girl who answers the door is wearing a black hoodie with purple marble leggings, round brown glasses, and is chewing gum. She has long, dark red hair and freckles on her pale peach- colored face. When she sees me, her expression immediately lights up.

"Oh my god, hi! You must be Cameron!" She excitedly takes my hands in hers and kisses them. "I've heard so much about you!"

I smile. "All good, I hope?"

"Of course! It's such a delight to meet you!"

"It's good to meet you, too!"

"Should we get started on lunch?" Codi asks. "There's some leftover lobster salad in the fridge.."

"Oh my god, yes," Clover says. She turns to me. "You don't mind lobster? It's-"

"I love lobster!"

Codi smiles. "Two lobster salad sandwiches and some macaroni salad coming right up," she says, and we part the way so she can go to the kitchen. She motions for us to follow her, so we do.

The kitchen is sleek wood and modern, with black marble countertops, spruce floor and walls, and lights hanging from the ceiling- the type you'd see at an Applebee's. In the front is a bar counter in the same design with modern stools.

"You have a really nice house," I say, admiring the kitchen.

"Thanks!" Codi says, preparing the sandwiches. A few minutes later, she starts packing the food into a basket. I look at her, confused.

"I thought we were eating inside?"

"Nah, it's nice outside, so let's have a picnic."

So Codi leads us all into the backyard, and after we eat, she sneaks below the porch and grabs a bucket. At first, I can't tell what's inside it, but when something wet makes contact with my shirt, it becomes obvious that it's a bucket of water balloons. So we all chase each other around the yard, throwing water balloons at each other and watching our shirts and shorts get absolutely soaked under the hot sun.

About what feels like an hour later, it starts raining, so we head back inside to watch a few movies. After our third one, it's already ten o' clock, so I give Clover a kiss and head back to the lodge.

"Where have you been?" Kenneth's voice bellows as I close the front door behind me.

I kick off my sneakers. "I was at Clover's house."

Kenneth gets up from the couch, and one by one, the adults turn to stare at us as he slowly, dangerously, walks over to me. "Clover who?"

"Clover Hitchens, my new friend." The lie slips so easily off my tongue. We're a situationship, I remind myself.

"I thought you ran away this morning. You weren't here all day! At least let one of us know you're going out, for goodness' sake!"

"I left a note," I shout back. "I left a dang note on the kitchen counter in a very obvious place. It's not my fault you didn't notice it."

Mom yells at Kenneth to stop bothering me, and I go to my room. I pull out my phone and type out a text.

Cameron: stepdad mad @ me 4 sneaking out :/

The checkmarks below the message turn white, signaling that she read the text. The bubble pops up and is replaced by a new message.

4-Leaf Clover xx: i'm sorry <3

Cameron: not your fault

4-Leaf Clover xx: it is. i asked you to sneak over

I sigh and type out a text.

Cameron: And I chose to come. not your fault <3

She sends a red heart emoji, and I send one back. I flop down on my bed, typing out another message.

Cameron: my step dad bought a house today. we're going home tomorrow to pack up our things and we'll be back on the 25th

Clover: i'll miss u

I smile. I choose my words carefully, and then my finger hovers over the send button.

Cameron: I'll miss you too.

Send.