Chapter Ten

Our cart on the Ferris wheel slowly climbs higher and higher, until we're so close to the sky it's almost possible to touch the clouds. In my dreams.

"So, about the other night-"

"I'm sorry," I interrupt, looking down. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to kiss you. I mean, I-"

Clover lifts my head up and cuts me off with a kiss. It's wonderful, with fireworks going off all over my body, her hands in my hair, and I pull her closer by the small of her back and everything's just perfect. I'm shocked, because I didn't actually know if she liked me back, but I kiss back with equal ferocity.

After a few long seconds, we pull apart and she looks away. I gaze at her, full of awe.

"I-"

Our cart goes lower until the wheel finally makes stops for each cart. We get off, and I lead her to the secret corner by the prize stands. It's the same place I went when Ava broke up with me.

The prize stands are situated against a brick wall, and behind that wall is a small alley with a creek and a watermill running above that. There's a wooden bench and a stepping stone path across the creek, and a live oak tree grows by the wall, its branches arching across to the wire fence, as though tapping it on the shoulder.

I sit down on the bench, and Clover sits down next to me.

"So," I say, and then stop.

Clover waits a second. "..so?" She says it like a question.

"I like you. And I know you probably might not like me back. I'm not even sure if it's a crush or just a best friend thing or what. But I-"

Clover cuts me off with another kiss, and I lean into it, fingers digging into her shoulder blades. We're a mess of grips and tongues and lips and teeth, eyelashes fluttering against each other's cheeks in a butterfly kiss. I kiss her like it's more important than breathing, than living, and she responds with equal ferocity. I slip my tongue across her lips, she opens her mouth further, and our tongues collide in a heated dance.

When we pull apart, Clover looks on the verge of tears. She looks at me, and then reverts back to her spot. She gets up, walking over to an area not far down the alley, sits on the gravel, and points to the wall she sees, looking at me. Accepting the invitation, I gladly wander over, sitting down across from her. My knees are arched and my sneakers are flat against the wall, my back curved. We look at each other, and ask at the same time, "What are we?"

I laugh first, and then Clover relaxes and giggles. We talk some more and agree that we're a situationship; more than friends but less than a committed relationship. We go on rides and play games until dark, and then everyone heads home. When I'm in my room that night, I can't stop dancing because I'm so happy.

22 June, 11:50pm

4-Leaf Clover <3: u awake

Cameron: hello my little 4 leaf clover

4-Leaf Clover <3: ???

Cameron: Your name is clover. 4 leaf clover. get it?

4-Leaf Clover <3: ohhh lmfao. wyd

Cameron: Eh, nothing much, u?

4-Leaf Clover <3: could u sneak over? i'm lonely :(

Cameron: yeah, gimme 15 min

4-Leaf Clover <3: 948 S. St, Blackhawk Community

I quickly get dressed into denim shorts, my black hoodie, and a tie-dye T-shirt. I put on long hiking socks and slip on my Converse. Then I put my favorite eyeliner, phone, earbuds, and book into my small leather backpack and throw it on my back. I sneak downstairs, leave a note on the kitchen table, and slip out the back door.