Chapter Six: Feeling like a Criminal

Curious eyes peered at the police officials walking up and down the corridor

Curious eyes peered at the police officials walking up and down the corridor. Tensed whisperers had filled the air.

Danielle was standing in front of the 'DO NOT CROSS' written tapes that restricted entry to the murder spot. She could feel the scorching glare of Joanna fixeted on the back of her head but didn't dare look back. Joanna was standing behind along with Xavier and Ryan. Danielle could hear Joanna's quiet sniffles and Ryan's consolations.

Danielle felt a lot of emotions- angry, sad and scared. But what she felt most was dread. She knew she was in a tight position from the very beginning. But, now, with Joanna accusing her of her sister's murder, Danielle felt that she was doomed.

Inspector Rabha, a tall, intimidating woman with brown hair was inspecting the ground where Arianna's corpse was found, thoroughly. Even from this far, Danielle could feel the confidence and power radiating off of her.

The corpse had already been replaced by a sinister chalk outline etched in the cold, solid stones.

"Madam!" A police officer in his uniform came running towards her. "Joseph has found something."

The fluidity with which Inspector Rabha stood up and faced the officer told Danielle that she was a person to be feared. The police officer stood taunt as Inspector Rabha's eyes fell on him.

"Where?" She dusted her hands on her pants and then, swiped a scrutinising gaze over the crowd. Her expression was of utter serious. The determination to solve this case was evident in the glint in her eyes. She made sure to let everyone know that she meant business with the way she carried her.

There was an unnerving familiarity between her and Xavier's personality. And this made Danielle feel all the more uneasy. From what she had been observing for the past few hours, she had realised that Inspector Rabha was someone to reckon with. She had the air of a woman who knew how much power she held and what destruction she could unleash with that power.

"He found something right under the window of that room." The officer pointed at a door. Danielle's heart plummeted to her stomach. He was pointing at her room- the one she shared with Arianna.

A new wave of whispers erupted around her and hundreds of eyes fell on her- looking at her with disgust and curiosity. Still, somehow and to Danielle's surpirse, Joanna's glare still stood out. Only the blaze had intensified. Danielle stood there like a marble sculpture- too scared to even breathe.

With confident and assured steps, Inspector Rabha walked towards the door. She gripped the doorknob with a firm hand and pushed it open. As she disappeared inside her room, Danielle felt an unknown fear seize her.

A warm hand squeezed her hand. Danielle looked back to see Rayana giving her a sympathetic look. "It's okay. It will be fine."

Danielle was about to reply but before she could, Inspector Rabha strode out of the room and started descending the stairs. The police officers followed her down. The student body soon trickled after them.