Chapter One: Familiar Stranger

After the collective display of disappointment by the students, Principal Ophelia Alvarez announced that the extracurricular activities were to be held on Saturday

Danielle was sitting in Rayana's room. She was playing Uno with Rayana's roommate Anushka Mahajan while Rayana painted, sitting on the window ledge. The weather was pleasant. From the open window, a soothing breeze entered the room and caressed them, gently. The leaves of the indoor plant swayed to the rhythm of the breeze. Rays of the setting sun poured into the room, bathing it in a soft, comforting glow.

"Uno," said Anushka, triumphantly. Danielle groaned.

"This is the second time you won," Danielle said, falling back on the bed. Anushka too plopped down beside her.

"I am just good at it," Anushka said with faux haughtiness. Danielle laughed.

Danielle had not laughed like this in quite a while. She had been upset about the whole Arianna situation. Danielle wanted to spend the evening with Arianna with the intention of making her open up to her. But all her hopes of spending the evening with Arianna vanished when Arianna, herself, explicitly stated that she wanted to be alone today. An upset Danielle then decided to spend the evening with her best friend Rayana.

She got up from the bed and went towards the window. She sat opposite Rayana on the window ledge. She peered at the paper in Rayana's hand. Rayana was drawing a portrait of Danielle. When Rayana noticed her looking at her drawing, she quickly covered it.

"Don't look," whined Rayana. "It's not good."

"No, it's perfect," reasoned Danielle. "Though it doesn't matter, the effort matters. That alone makes the portrait perfect."

Rayana smiled at her and went back to drawing. Danielle really meant it when she said the portrait was perfect. The wavy black hair Danielle possessed was perfectly portrayed in the drawing. Her dark brown eyes in the portrait were soft and her pink, plump cupid-shaped lips were tugged up in a soft smile. In the portrait, she was sitting in a field full of flowers. Danielle smiled at Rayana with fondness.

Rayana, sitting on the window ledge, was bathed in the soft rays of the setting sun. Her black hair was put in a messy bun. Her perfectly shaped eyebrows were drawn close together and her tongue was poking out from between her thin, pink lips as her black eyes looked intently at the drawing.

Danielle turned her eyes away from Rayana and looked outside. She could see students sitting in the quadrangle, talking and enjoying the pleasant evening. Her roaming eyes stopped on a student- Xavier Alvarez. He was lying on the grass with his hands behind his head. The rays of the setting sun fell on his face, highlighting his sharp jawlines and giving his face an ethereal glow. The rays falling on his brown eyes made them appear honey-brown. Her brown hair which was now golden brown, courtesy to the rays, made them look lush and soft. He was laughing at something Joanna told him.