eight

"stell died. april eighteenth. she had been wearing rose petals for a necklace. her skin looked like ash, mom said. it was bad."

the wishkah only washed people away when they were stupid. one look and common sense should hit you. those rocks are not meant for climbing. those toads are not meant for chasing. those waters are not meant for swimming.

kurt died a little. he skimmed the pages. no more stella. no more poetry.

had stella been a lover?

"people liked my eulogy. when I asked them if they wanted to know more about stell, they took their plates and grabbed food. I think I should've known it would happen anyway though. you don't mourn the dead after their funeral. you eat and forget them."

kurt nodded along. even if chris was no longer here, the boy spoke his sentiments for himself.

kurt could applaud that easily.

"I filled my plate and left once I sent my condolences. at least I had an excuse. loneliness won't accompany itself. I ate that day, but I didn't forget Stell either."

kurt had to put the book down. his forearms bent and huddled together. his brows, creased and sweaty, curled.

then he picked it back up again.

"she left before me. how is that fair? when do I get my goodbye?"

kurt chuffed.

"two weeks, pal."