Only Love Can Hurt Like This

Chapter 18: Only Love Can Hurt Like This

Summary: In Seattle we see Erica in Post-Op, Lexie reminds Derek about a very special day-Olivia's birthday, we get a flashback, and back in LA Addison asks Jake for help which momentarily shocks him as he takes it the wrong way.

The next two days passed in a blur. The Los Angeles crew didn't see much of Olivia except in passing at the hospital.

Erica's surgery had surprisingly gone off without a hitch, even if Amelia had a moment of self-doubt while practicing.

"So, Erica's good?" Charlotte asked, making sure she was hearing correctly.

"Well, the surgery was a success, and it buys her more time, but I wouldn't say she's good," Derek said.

Charlotte nodded in understanding.

"Can Mason see her?" Cooper asked.

"He can't go in the ICU unit, but he can see her from the outside," Derek said.

"In the morning," He added, seeing Mason sound asleep on the hospital chairs.

"You can see her now if you want, but I'd suggest taking him back to the hotel to get some sleep on something other than a chair," Derek suggested.

"Can we just take a look?" Cooper asked, wanting to make sure with his own eyes.

"Derek will take you guys. I'll stay with Mason," Amelia nodded, gesturing to her brother and moving to sit down with the boy.

Derek led them up to the ICU, pointing out Erica's room.

"She isn't awake yet, so I wouldn't suggest staying for too long. We'll try to wake her in the morning," Derek explained.

Cooper and Charlotte nodded before they walked over to take a peek inside her room. They could see from the monitors that she was stable and she could see the bandage on her head as she slept in the hospital bed. They both stared in, watching her body rise and fall softly.

They both eyed her stats, wanting to make sure everything looked good with their own eyes, even though they trusted Amelia and her brother.

"Are we good?" Derek asked. He knew they'd want to see it with their own eyes. They were, after all, doctors like him.

"Looks like it," Charlotte confirmed.

"Dr. Grey here will be monitoring Erica overnight, and she'll let me know if anything changes," Derek added.

"There's another Dr. Grey around here, isn't there?" Cooper asks, having heard the P.A. system call for Dr. Grey repeatedly while also seeing Lexie making no attempts to move.

Lexie nodded.

"My sister, Meredith. You probably heard Olivia tell a million stories about her," Lexie replied.

"That's your wife?" Charlotte turned to Derek, seeking confirmation.

"Yes, Lexie's my sister-in-law. Meredith's a general surgeon, and Lexie's still a resident," Derek explained.

"Writing a bunch of nauseating things on a post-it note doesn't make you married," Amelia smirked as she walked up beside them. When everyone turned, they saw Mason next to her.

"I thought he was sleeping," Derek said, almost accusatory.

"He woke up and asked about his mom. What did you want me to do? Force him to go back to sleep on the chair?" Amelia asked sarcastically.

"What does she mean by that?" Cooper asked curiously.

"He and his wife wrote a bunch of vows on a post-it note and hung it in a locker," Charlotte said.