Telling Stories

Chapter 8: Telling Stories

Summary: Everyone has dinner together after Amelia and Michelle come out to join them while Jake learns a little more about Addison.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" Olivia ran up to Jake and Addison.

"Hi, Liv," Addison quickly grabbed a towel, wrapping her up before picking her up.

"Mommy! Look! I found this!" Olivia held up a seashell.

"Isn't it pretty?" Olivia asked her mom, getting in closer.

"That's very pretty, Liv. Hey, we're gonna stay out of the water now, okay? Dinner is gonna be here soon, and I can hear your tummy rumble," Addison said, tickling her.

The girl giggled, squirming in her mom's arms. She quickly wiggled out of her arms, eyes lighting up when she saw Amelia and Michelle walk out. They both squinted at the bright sunlight.

"Lia! Mitchie! Did you just get home? Where did you go? Did you have to go fix a brain? Did you have to watch her, Mitchie? 'Cause that sounds super boring!" Olivia asked her questions, flying out a mile a minute, running toward them, and determined to get a hug from her aunt.

Thankfully, Michelle intercepted.

"Oh no. We're not gonna tackle-hug Lia like we normally do. Remember, her tummy was upset this morning? We don't wanna do that again now, do we?" Michelle asked the dripping-wet girl in her arms.

Olivia gasped, looking back and forth between the two.

"Are you still sick, Auntie? Is Mommy gonna send you to live at Mitchie's until you feel better? 'Cause she doesn't like me getting sick and I don't wanna get sick either! 'Cause if I get sick, that means I can't go to Daddy's for Halloween! And Meredeth said we can have a party! Parties are really really fun and I wanna go!" Olivia rambled.

"Did you feed this kid crack or something?" Michelle joked, earning a disapproving glare from Addison for her use of language.

"I don't know what that means, but I'm super duper hungry! Mommy said it's not time for swimming anymore 'cause it's almost dinnertime," Olivia chatted away. Addison was pleased to know the girl did, in fact, hear her.

Amelia just flopped down in a seat beside Addison, watching the waves. Addison reached out, feeling her forehead much like she did earlier in the day.

"Well, your fever's gone and you look much better. How are you feeling?" Addison asked as Jake sat a glass of water down in front of Amelia.

"Terrible, but at least I'm not puking my guts out, so I guess that's a win? I wanted to stay in bed, but Michelle thought I needed sunlight," Amelia said, grabbing the water and silently thanking Jake.

"Then I guess the medicine worked. Just keep using it. We'll see how you feel in the morning," Addison offered. Amelia just stayed silent, staring at her water.

If Amelia was honest, she felt conflicted. She didn't think she could raise a baby, especially without a father in the picture. And she was not a beggar. If she did decide to keep it, her spontaneous trips with Michelle would stop, and she wasn't sure if she was willing to give up what little time she had left with her friend.

Plus, she wouldn't be able to accompany Olivia to Seattle the same, which she'd feel guilty about. She took the time to take the girl back and forth most of the time as her way to repay Addison for letting her stay here. Filling in the gaps was the only thing she could think of to repay Addison for everything. Maybe if Olivia was older and didn't need as much attention as she did now, she'd think differently.