Thirteen

I sped through the woods as a hulking wolf as my wound finally healed. I smelled the Shunka and barked loudly. I ran around a tree and found the Shunka dragging Landon. I jumped onto its back biting its neck and shoulders, clawing at it. The Shunka let out a roar as it grabbed me and threw me away. 

A few seconds later, an arrow pierced its back and exited through its chest. It dropped me. "Raf!" Landon shouted. "Lan, it's not done!" Rafael yelled out. Landon ran to the Shunka and broke off the arrow before jamming it into its under-jaw, killing it. The two friends hugged one another as I shifted back into a human and walked away.

HOSPITAL

I sat outside on a bench writing in a leather-bound journal. "Niklaus?" A girl asked. "Maya!" I said getting to my feet closing the journal. "What are you doing here?" She asked. "I wanted to see how you, Ethan, and Lucifer were doing after the game. Principal Saltzman told me about Lucifer." I said. 

"He worked so hard for that scholarship. And now it's gone." She said in tears before I pulled her into a hug. "I'm so sorry. I never should've left the game." I said. "It's not your fault, Niklaus." She told me. "Yeah, well it feels like it. If I hadn't left the game, Lucifer wouldn't have gotten hurt." I explained. 

"You couldn't have predicted it, Niklaus." She stated as I sighed. "I know. But I should've known by how aggressive the Stallions were playing." I said. "You don't need to worry, okay? Lucifer has a way of miraculously bouncing back from these kinda things. It's sort of his thing. Sometimes I think he's not human seeing how fast he recovers from injuries." She told me. 

"The kid's named Lucifer and you're thinking he's not human? I mean, obviously he's the devil, duh." I said chuckling. A smile broke out on her lips. "There it is. There's that smile." I said with a smirk. "Look, if you need someone to talk to. You can call me." I said giving her my number before leaving. 

"Why did you do that?" The Fox asked. Thought she could use a friend. "Is that what she is? I was under the assumption that you didn't have any friends." He voiced. Oh, shut up.

THE FOLLOWING DAY

I woke up in a motel room and headed to school. I walked through the square before sensing something strange. I stopped for a moment and looked around. A cold dark presence lingered in the area. Something...familiar. 

"I sense it too." The Nogitsune voiced. That's when I found a man in samurai gear speaking Japanese. "Uh...I think I found the cause." I said looking at the Japanese man scramble around the square asking people for something. 

"Why does he want to know if someone touched him?" The Nogitsune asked. "I don't know. Maybe he's crazy?" I suggested. 

"The man is wearing samurai armor from the 12th century, speaking Japanese, and you think that the part about him asking if he was touched is the crazy part?" The Nogitsune asked sarcastically. "Okay, geez. You could've said that a little nicer, you know?" I asked. The man made a bee line for me.

I looked around before he grabbed my shoulders and looked in my eyes. "Where is it?" He asked me. 

How am I able to understand him? 

"I don't know, why are you able to understand him? Probably has something to do with the two Japanese demon foxes that possess you." The Nogitsune said sarcastically. 

Okay. You know what? I don't very much appreciate your attitude. 

A couple of seconds passed before he ran off. "I should probably run after him, shouldn't I?" I asked. "Yeah...probably." The Nogitsune answered as I sighed. I stepped forward to chase after him when I was blocked by Lucifer. "Lucifer! Hey!" I said. "Niklaus, where you ?" He asked. "Handling something strange." I answered. 

"How strange?" He asked. "Uh...Japanese samurai running amok through the town probably mentally insane." I said. "Oh! Okay, that's pretty strange." He said. "I see your arm has healed." I said pointing down at his arm. 

"Yeah! Completely healed when I woke up." He said with a smile looking at his arm. "Maybe you can help." I said. "With your samurai problem?" He asked. "Yeah, wanna help search for a samurai?" I asked him. "Hell yeah! Beats learning about 'em in History." He said with a smirk walking off as I shook my head and laughed. "He reminds me of you, and it disturbs me." The Fox said as I rolled my eyes.