6

Aria barely slept that night for thinking about mermaids and mermen. She wondered what Kai's tail would look like. It occurred to her that he might actually have a tail, since he was so into the mermaid thing, which led to her thinking that they might go swimming together, sometime. At that thought, she realized that she had no way of contacting him and she frowned as she drifted off, trying to come up with a solution for that problem.

Freya was up long past her friend. When she was certain the girl was asleep, she snuck out of the apartment and headed to the park, where she found Idun, who seemed to be waiting for her. Idun smiled as she approached. "Good evening. Did you enjoy the party?"

"Aria intends to go to the next one, as well." Freya informed her, rather than answering the question. "At this rate, it is only a matter of time before she learns the truth."

"And what if she does?" Idun's tone was unconcerned and her smile unwavering. "Wouldn't she be happy? She seems to really love mermaids."

"She loves them enough to do something foolish." Freya sighs. "Also, she and Kai seemed to get along a little too well for my comfort."

"I don't see any reason for that to discomfort you." Idun replied, simply. "There is no reason for you to be so concerned about a human and I doubt she will stand in the way of the treaty, when it comes down to it."

Freya shook her head. "I am fond of the girl. She is very innocent for a human and I find her interesting. I fear she will get herself into trouble over our merman prince. She is naïve and enjoys fairytales just enough to get herself caught up in such a story."

"You're assuming Kai will fall for her, as well." Idun pointed out. "He knows what is at stake. Do you expect him to throw it away over a human?"

"If I could develop an attachment to the human girl, why couldn't he?" Freya asked. "At any rate, I would prefer she stays away from the merfolk as much as possible."

"Perhaps, the solution is to tell her the truth and warn her of the dangers." Idun suggested. "That way, she would not be so naïve or helpless."

"It would be giving her what she wants and that can be dangerous." Freya told her. "Please, promise me you will not do anything to help her find out about them."

Idun paused, looking her over. "You are very serious when it comes to this girl, aren't you?"

"She is worth protecting." Freya answered. She looked at the wood nymph. "Promise me you will help me protect her and it will ease my concern."

Idun stared at her, a little longer, then nodded. "I promise. I will not tell her about the merfolk."

"Thank you." Freya breathed a sigh of relief. "You have always been my favorite of our brethren."

Idun smiled at her. "Of course, I have. Why wouldn't I be?"

Freya returned the smile and nodded. "I should head back, now. Good night."

"Good night, Freya. I look forward to our next conversation." Idun replied.Freya nodded and headed back to her apartment for the night.Idun watched her go, in silence, thinking about the promise she had made. Slowly, a smile formed on the dryad's lips and she faded into the trees to rest.

Aria awoke early the next morning and met Freya in the kitchen, where she was having her usual muffin. Aria grabbed an apple and looked at her friend. "So do you know a lot of people from the party last night?"

"A few." Freya looked at her, knowing what she wanted, but not willing to give it. "Mostly, my cousins, really. You met them."

"So what were the rest of the people doing there?" Aria asked, not really understanding. "Was it some sort of convention?"