Chapter 20

The passing days blur together in a flurry of confusion and hope

The passing days blur together in a flurry of confusion and hope. I do little plotting and scheming which is a benefit to my healing body, but with a lack of distraction, my mind turns in circles.
Now that the pain has largely subsided, I decide to leave the city behind.

Maslin is still at Pembridge when I arrive. I couldn't be more grateful to hear his voice over the manicured hedges in the courtyard. I walk through the maze of white roses and nebula blossoms toward the space we used for combat practice. My dress matches the olive greenery, I could blend into the high floral walls with ease. The day is gorgeous, a perfect amount of sun warming the earth.

I would love to plop down here and lay on the plush grass to count clouds for the entire afternoon. The dagger throwing targets are as familiar to me as my own hands. A stuffed mannequin gently sways on it's springs and reminds me of my initial arrival to the manor. How things have changed, and never stop changing.

When I creep around the corner of a hedge I find Maslin lounged on the grass aside another. The young woman is wearing a white dress that perfectly accentuates her curves. Her curly black hair shines in the afternoon light.
Maslin is holding her hand as they speak low into each others embrace. She is beautiful and so is he. I am almost beaming with pride as I approach.

"Callan!" Maslin calls, wide-eyed, "you finally made it."

The girl looks at him and then at me before stepping forward to introduce herself.
"Mina," she says, extending her hand, "Mina Parkinson."

I recognize her name from passing events, her parents do not work in politics but they are involved with society. I also know that she is far older than her appearance lets on, at least seven years Maslin's senior. Knowing Maslin, he ribs her about that on a daily basis.

"Callan Rawe," I say, "pleasure."

"It's taken me months to convince Maslin to introduce me to his family. I was beginning to worry," she jokes. Her smile is mischievous and makes Maslin shift on his feet.

"I imagine he was probably afraid you'd see how dysfunctional we are and never come back," I reply.

"That is what I told her," Maslin chimes.

If Maslin was shaken by the bank heist, he certainly isn't now. Surrounded by the looming manor he appears perfectly in place. I am reminded that Pembridge was his home for far longer than it was mine. The hedges reach out to caress his back when he leans against him, the sun knows exactly how to find his temples. This is where he belongs, a perfect portrait of the politicians heir.

"I am going to go find Haro," I tell them. This was once my favorite location at the estate, but it belongs to the lovers now. I am happy to give it up to see Maslin smile.
"Lovely to meet you, Mina."

"Barty's in the house," Maslin calls to me as I venture back through the maze, "try to keep him company!"

Upon returning to the foyer, I brush my soles on the mat and step into the hautily decorated foyer. Deep blue and silver drapes have cascade from the rafters in tufts. There are more bouquets of roses lining the baseboards than I can count. They continue as I venture down the hall, it looks as if someone has brought the courtyard inside.