Chapter 5

//Authors note: Small reminder to PLEASE vote on chapters if you like them

//Authors note: Small reminder to PLEASE vote on chapters if you like them. The algorithm literally hates me as a relatively new account and it helps me out more than you know, not only with WP metrics but an actual gauge of my writing as well. Thank you, love you 🤍

On my way to the Leaky Cauldron, I pass by Maslin's flat. He sits on the balcony, basking in the summer sun with a glass of wine. I deliberately keep my eyes cast down when a girl steps out of the sliding glass door and plops down in his lap. That is far from being any of my business.

I hope, for her sake, that she is a witch with pure blood. Otherwise, I can't imagine it ending in any way that doesn't involve tears or having her memories stolen from her.

Muggles often marry magical folk as long as the magic counterpart does not come from the sacred twenty-eight.
I haven't given much thought to dating within high society because I have never been surrounded by men willing to forgo their family traditions.

I know I am not part of the magical world, but my standards have risen to unforeseen heights. Now that I know the poisoned fruit exists, it's difficult not to want to taste it. I am sure I would be happy with a muggle or a squib, but I can't seem to convince myself of that.

Even if I did meet a half-blood or a muggle-born, it would be challenging to convince Haro to give me enough time off to cultivate any relationship. Then again, I am on specific orders to keep my head down until the Deatheater troubles blow over. Now might be a good time to pounce.

Barty Crouch Jr. is sitting at a table near the entrance when I step into the pub. He smiles at me in a way that makes me want to crawl out of my skin. I very quickly change my mind regarding dating one of them.

"Callan Rawe," he says, flicking his tongue over his teeth, "come join me for a drink, please."

Barty is very obviously already inebriated. He has also announced my entrance to the entire establishment. I am not even supposed to be able to find this place, let alone go inside. They cannot tell from my exterior that I am not one of them, but the name is wholly unfamiliar to the ears in this place. Unfamiliar to the wizarding world in general.