Chapter 40 - Moon 21

Ivyshadow woke up early the next morning, peacefully waking not from a nightmare but from a comforting dream. She yawned, stretching her sore muscles, her soft belly brushing the floor.

Acornstar lay in her corner of the den, sleeping peacefully with her two kits at her belly. She'd named the tom Elmkit, and the she-cat Honeykit. Ivyshadow watched them sleep, wondering what Honeykit and Elmkit would become. Deputies? Medicine Cats? Or perhaps like Ivyshadow, they would become loyal warriors and maybe parents of their own one day.

Ivyshadow's gaze shifted, landing on Snowfall. Winterthorn was curled up against her back, and her nearly grown kits lay in various places surrounding them. Northkit, the quiet thoughtful one. Icekit, the a-little-too-eager one. And Shadekit, her namesake, the determined, cheerful one. Ivyshadow smiled, knowing that they would all grow up to be good cats. She privately wished that she could be Shadekit's mentor, but knew that would be impossible.

Ivyshadow padded out of the den, breathing in the familiar scents of the camp. She was pleased to see Forestdapple joining Sunshine, Petalpaw and Daybreeze for Dawn Patrol.

Forestdapple waved his tail at her before disappearing out the camp entrance. Ivyshadow watched Petalpaw catch up with Sunshine, her eyes bright with excitement. Ivsyahdow felt a mix of emotions; longing? Joy? Guilt?

She paused at the prey pile before padding out of the den, noting that it was full. A sense of calm, of belonging washed over her as soon as she stepped into the forest, her forest. She felt her kits kick, and she smiled. I hope you love the forest as much as I do.

Ivyshadow caught scents of prey, herbs, the distant scent of honey, and even a whiff of pine. Ivyshadow closed her eyes, letting his scent wash over her. She missed him with every ounce of her being, and yet she knew, somehow, she could move on. She could keep tackling one day at a time, keep finding the small pleasures in life.

Ivyshadow padded through the forest, the trees casting dappled tapestries on the forest floor in front of her. A green leaf gently fell on her back, sliding off onto the ground. The buzzing of the nearby bees nest and the happy chirps of the bird's filled her ears.

Ivyshadow found herself walking with a purpose, and soon reached her destination. She came to a stop in front of a small clearing with several mounds of soil. Ivyshadow knew that Runningmouse's spirit wouldn't linger with his body, and yet... her paws had led her to his grave.

Ivyshadow leaned down to touch her nose to the soil, grief threatening to spill over again. All she wanted was to feel his fur against hers, to hear his cheesy lines, to smell his scent.

Ivyshadow leaned to the sick, plucking a daisy out of the ground with her teeth. She set the flower on top of his grave and took a step back, a feeling of finality settling over her. He was dead. She would always miss him, always love him. But she would be okay.

○○○

It was only a week later when Ivyshadow had her first contraction. It wasn't painful yet, but a deep instinct told her what it was. Her kits were coming.

Ivyshadow's paws began to move of their own accord, dragging the moss closer to her. She got up to pick up the feathers she'd been collecting for this very day, adding them to the corners of her nest.

Even after pampering and fluffing her nest for the better part of 30 minutes, she wasn't satisfied. Walking was quickly becoming uncomfortable, and she finally decided to go to Birchfall.

She padded out of the nursery quietly, not wanting to arouse suspicion, and found him sharing tongues with Winterthorn under the Leader's Stump.

"Birchtail? Could I see you for a second?"