Chapter 23 - Moon 14

"Acornstar? May I have a word with you?"

Acornstar glanced up, surprised by Ivyshadow's meow. "Of course."

Ivyshadow had decided to wait until the next morning to talk to her leader to give herself time to grieve. It was a strange feeling, missing a cat she'd never known. The sight of Willowbranch lying dead in the rain was seared permanently into Ivyshadow's mind.

"What is it?" Acornstar and Ivyshadow had padded over to the corner of the camp, underneath Acornstar's den. The dark brown she-cat stood up straight, her tail sitting neatly on top of her paws.

"Well, I..." Ivyshadow glanced furtively around the camp, but she never Violetfang wouldn't be there. Runningmouse had made sure to bring the grey tabby cat on dawn patrol. "I went to see my mother."

Acornstar's eyes narrowed, "you what?"

Ivyshadow was taken aback. In all the rush, she'd forgotten that she hadn't been actually allowed to go outside thier territory. Is this a mistake?

Acornstar flicked her tail in mild annoyance, "continue. You clearly didn't come to confess to breaking the code."

Ivyshadow attempted to swallow her fears, standing up straighter. "Willowbranch is with the Clan Of Rising Stars now."

Acornstar blinked, shocked. "She's dead?" She turned away, guilt clouding her amber eyes. Ivyshadow watched the emotion fade from her leader's eyes, and the she-cat straightened again. "May she rest in Rising Star."

Ivyshadow took a deep breath. Now or never. "She was murdered." Acornstar's eyes widened and she opened her mouth but Ivyshadow didn't pause. "Violetfang did it."

It seemed as if all the sounds stopped. Ivyshadow's heart thumped in her chest. Acornstar's expression was unreadable. "What makes you believe that?"

"I- um..." Ivyshadow struggled to find the words, "I accidentally told her I was going to try to find my mother and, well, she hates me." Her words sounded small and lame.

"But you didn't see Violetfang do it? Acornstar's voice was skeptical.

"I... no, but-"

"Violetfang is a loyal and trusted warrior. I was her mentor for six months, I think I am a better judge of her character than your wild suspicions." Acornstar's voice was final. "I am deeply sorry for your loss, but breaking the code is not tolerated. You will be held back from the coming gathering as well as your warrior duties for the next couple weeks."

Ivyshadow stared at her in shock. Acornstar was treating her like a kit who'd been caught sneaking into the Warrior's Den. But what had Ivyshadow expected? Acornstar was not known for her leniency. "I understand, Acornstar."

Acornstar turned to leave, then paused. "I appreciate your honesty, Ivyshadow. I will consider your suspicions with Pebbleclaw. Violetfang will not hear of this meeting."

Ivyshadow felt some relief as her leader padded away. At least her eye would be on Violetfang now.

"What were you talking to Acornstar about?" Snowfall's voice came from behind her.

"Oh Snowfall, I have so much to catch you up on."

○○○

Ivyshadow's resentment towards Acornstar grew over the days. She did not enjoy pacing the camp like a kit, her legs growing more and more restless. It was especially infuriating because prey was growing scarce as fall transitioned into winter. All Ivyshadow wanted to do was to help her clan. Why couldnt Acornstar understand that?

The bright side of things was that she got to spend more time with Windfur and Birchtail, who were in the camp for a majority of the time. Windfur mostly did nothing all day and was pleased to have her around. Birchtail pretended to be annoyed by her, but she knew he appreciated the company.