22. in his arms

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

The sudden statement of disbelief made me pause. I looked over, confirming the face to the voice that I had craved to hear and see for many days now, filling me with something sweet and relieved.

It was indeed Danse — staring at me incredulously, frozen in place. I got to my feet, unable to hide my cheesy grin at seeing his handsome face in the flesh again, wanting nothing more than to run up to him.

"...The rumors were true," he murmured mainly to himself, looking me up and down. The door shut slowly behind him, a faint noise amidst the wind. 

"It appears the infiltration of the Institute was a success," I stated formally, trying to speak more his language, though I felt like melting under his dark gaze. "It's... a pleasure to see you again, Paladin."

"Jane..." He trailed off from softly saying my name, shaking his head before jogging over to me. I stood still, my heart rate rising as he neared. "You... survived the Institute by yourself? And the Relay..."

"More or less," I replied wryly, unable to take my eyes off of his.

He was frozen in place, only a foot away from me now. His shock was gradually wearing off, relief instead flushing his face before he reached forward, grasping my arm. To my utter shock he pulled me against him, wrapping his arms around my body. Comfort and warmth flooded through me at the touch; I leaned my head against his chest, soaking in every moment of the hug, happily surprised. 

"Jane, I... we thought you were dead," he whispered hoarsely. It was the first time I'd really seen him this shaken, pure humanity ebbing from him as opposed to the trained militant soldier. "...It'd been weeks, and you never so much as made contact..."

"I know, I... I had a lot to get through," I sighed, hardly able to concentrate with his strong arms around me. "I'm... sorry. I missed you, Danse... I really did."

Danse loosened his hold, face flushing as he realized what he was doing. He self-consciously looked behind us, as if there might be someone watching. Of course there wasn't, unless a raider had some eagle eyes miles below. "Ah, um, my apologies for the break in decorum, Knight, I..."

"You don't have to apologize for anything," I assured gently, raising my head to meet his eyes. "...It's okay. More than okay. I'm just happy to be here now... with you."

His dark gaze traveled my face again, still holding a note of disbelief. "I thought I'd lost you too..."

We both went quiet at the statement, holding each other's gaze steadily. He finally stepped back, much to my dismay, clearing his throat awkwardly. But then he asked the million dollar question: "So... you made it. Did you find your son?"

I frowned, lip trembling at the thought. "Yes... I did."

He raised an eyebrow, asking another silent question. Then where is he?

"He's..." I looked down, sucking in a breath. "Danse, if I tell you this, you have to promise to keep it between you and me for now. It's... very important."

Danse hesitated. "I don't enjoy keeping things from the Elder, Jane, but... if you're giving me your trust once more, I won't break it. I've promised before, and I'll do it again."

I paused, giving him a grateful nod before speaking. "My son is... the head of the Institute." The words were incredibly hard to get out.

"What?" Danse's eyes widened. "But... you said he was around ten years old now. How is that possible?"