Chapter 8 :- Hunt For The Clues

Start from the beginning

Ava sighed, "Well, you're lucky my parents aren't home today. If you put it like that, I can help you. But I am going to put eyeballs in your cereal, okay?"

Alex chuckled, "Okay, fine. Do whatever you want. Come on."

Ava agreed, "Okay."

Alex placed the phone on the shelf and resumed his search through the articles, desperately hoping to find any clues that could lead him in the right direction. As he meticulously scanned each page, his eyes arted back and forth, searching for any hidden information.

After an hour had passed, there was a sudden knock on the door. Startled, Alex quickly made his way to the entrance and swung it open, revealing Ava standing there. A sense of relief washed over him as he welcomed her into his home. They ascended the stairs together, making their way to Alex's room where the articles were spread out.

With a determined expression, Ava began to examine the articles, carefully scrutinizing each one. She studied them intently, reading and re-reading the words, hoping to uncover any hidden meanings. As she continued her analysis, a hint of nervousness crept into her voice.

After a moment of silence, Ava spoke up, her voice trembling slightly, "Well, there are some things I've found, but there are also some things that I just can't seem to understand." Her face, usually filled with confidence, now appeared pale and shaken. Even her hands betrayed her anxiety, trembling slightly as she spoke.

Concerned, Alex looked at Ava, his eyes filled with empathy. He reassured her, his voice gentle, "It's okay, take your time. We'll figure this out together." He reached out and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, offering support in this moment of uncertainty.

Ava nodded nervously, her hands shaking as she showed Alex the list of dates and years of witch trials. "Okay, so these are the dates and years when witch trials occurred, but that doesn't necessarily mean they happened on the exact day. Look, these years have a 12-year difference: 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011, and the next witch trial happened in 2023."

Alex's eyes widened as he processed the information. He started shaking a bit and asked, "So you're saying..."

Ava interrupted him, still shaking. "Yeah. The witch trial happened last year, and that's why people and students went missing from last year."

Alex took a few deep breaths and said, "Okay, so that's the reason they started to go missing each month. Someone did witch trials last year, but how come the police haven't caught them? Why are there no records of them?"

Ava replied, "I don't know about that. They don't want us to know about this stuff, so maybe that's why there are no records."

Alex picked up the article from his study table and said, "Everything is creepy here."

He thought for a moment, scratching his head, and said, "But Ava... This isn't right. June died eight years ago, which means in 2015, right?

"Ava nodded in agreement, but then gasped and said, "Yeah, you're right. So how was Dylan there in 2015?"

Alex shook his head, "I don't know, but that's crazy."

Ava locked eyes with him, her gaze unwavering as she spoke. "Hold on for just a second," she said, her voice filled with determination.

Ava furrowed her brows, deep in thought. After a moment of contemplation, she snapped her fingers and a mischievous grin spread across her face. "I've got an idea. What if we break into the police station? We might be able to find some clues or information there."

Alex's eyes widened in disbelief. "No way, Ava," he protested. "That's too risky and dangerous."

Undeterred, Ava replied, "My dad is a police officer. I can easily grab the duplicate keys from his room and we can sneak into the police station. They might have records or files that could help us."