Chapter 5

Two weeks go by with no word from Jungkook, and Namjoon is miserable. He misses Jungkook. He can't sleep or concentrate in school, always thinking about what Jungkook is up to and how he's doing. He knows that Jungkook's hung out with Taehyung and Jimin a couple of times, conveniently at times that Namjoon is at work, so there are no chances of running into him.

He admits that it stung when the couple confessed to it. Namjoon pressed them about it during one of the times they hung out at their place. He understands, though. He can't blame them for trying to keep the peace.

Namjoon couldn't help but feel like the whole situation was a custody arrangement between bickering parents—he and Jungkook being the parents—and he wanted to fix it. Badly. So he tried. Namjoon has tried to text and call multiple times to no avail.

Needless to say, Taehyung has eased up on him about trying to talk to Jungkook, realizing that Jungkook needs his space and he doesn't want to take sides, assuring Namjoon that he'll be there for him if he wants to talk, which Namjoon was grateful for. So he waits in the hope that Jungkook comes around.

As Namjoon runs to his next class, hoping he's not late, his mind spins with thoughts about maybe just going to visit Jungkook. Since his texts go unanswered, it might be better to just see him face-to-face, with no chance of avoidance that way.

There's the chance that Jungkook will just slam the door in his face, yelling at him to never speak to him again. Namjoon shakes the stupid thought out of his mind, knowing that his mind is playing tricks on him, and Jungkook would never have the heart to do something so callous.

As he gets to his classroom, he hears loud voices coming from the class next door and stops in his tracks, his ears on high alert, sure that he recognizes one of the voices. Before he takes a peek inside, he hears a girlish giggle and then a lower, timid voice that he recognizes anywhere, his damn ears trained to pick out Jungkook's smooth, clear voice.

He takes a chance and peeks inside, and sure enough, he sees Jungkook talking with a cute girl, a curvy brunette with short hair. Jungkook's side profile faces the door, and the girl holds one of his hands as he holds the backpack strap with the other. She looks up at Jungkook sweetly, batting her eyes at him.

Namjoon's heart drops, and his stomach starts to swim with nausea. She's practically throwing herself at him, Namjoon thinks. Of course, that's probably just his jealousy talking.

"Okay, Jungkook-ah. I'll see you this Friday then. Can't wait," he hears her say. He tries to duck into his class before he gets caught, but is met with the girl's surprised face as he tries desperately (and fails) to get out of her way before being seen.

Fuck.

"Oh, uh, sorry," he mumbles, mortified at being caught spying. The girl gives him a small smile and walks away. He looks up and makes eye contact with Jungkook. He looks surprised to see him there, but immediately steels his expression. "H-hey, Jungkook," Namjoon greets him.

Jungkook looks at him, nods slightly, and quickly walks past him into the crowd of people bustling to their next class.

Namjoon is left with his hand caught in a half-wave and pain in his chest. Jungkook has decided to move on. It's fine. This is what he wanted anyway, right? It's good. He'll be a supportive friend. And nothing more.

Namjoon groans. This doesn't feel as okay as Namjon thought it would. It sparks a ball of jealousy in him, but Namjoon just wants to deny, deny, deny. However, his heart feels too heavy in his chest.

That's precisely why he's in this mess.

🎵 Forever Ago by Woodluck