Chapter 1

🎵 All Night by The Vamps, Matoma

Mondays are the worst.

Namjoon really hates Mondays. After a lovely weekend, starting the week all over again is the worst. Well, it would've been nice if he didn't have papers to write or exams to worry about. But at least he can spend time at home listening to music as he prepares for the week ahead. Maybe watch movies with his friends—or just the one friend he looks forward to movie nights with.

He knows he shouldn't complain; this is what he wanted, after all. He studied his ass off in high school, trying to get into Seoul National University, sacrificing a lot in the process. He got his wish and got accepted, so he really shouldn't be upset about the workload. Right after high school, he enlisted in the military, wanting to get it over with as soon as possible. Now that he's only focused on school and work, he's determined to do his best.

But Mondays... they feel like hell on earth.

"Hyung!"

Namjoon is heading to his car, exhausted after leaving his last class, when he hears Jungkook calling out to him. He feels a smile slowly erupt on his face, and he's suddenly feeling energized at the first sound of his friend's soothing voice. He turns around to see Jungkook running towards him, his camera bag bouncing at his side, and the stack of books in his arms tumbling to the ground.

He starts to jog back to meet him halfway. As he gets closer, he can hear Jungkook mumbling under his breath, something about it being embarrassing. Namjoon's heart flips, immediately endeared by the sweet, raven-haired boy.

"Hey," Namjoon huffs out a laugh. "What's all this?"

Jungkook motions to the scattered books, trying to catch his breath. "Ah... the books you need for your writing assignment, I-I got them for you," Jungkook responds shyly, his hand scratching the back of his neck.

Namjoon looks at Jungkook, surprised at the kind gesture, because why would someone go out of their way for him? But then he smiles widely at Jungkook, both dimples on full display now.

In reality, he shouldn't be surprised because that's precisely who Jungkook is—someone so selfless and sweet who thinks of others. Opposite of who Namjoon is. And honestly, it makes him feel undeserving of Jungkook's friendship.

Jungkook looks away from Namjoon's smile and crouches to gather the books, the tips of his ears burning red. He stands back up and tries to hold the stack of books to his chest, biting his bottom lip nervously and averting his eyes. Namjoon chuckles, finding Jungkook's shyness adorable. He moves to tug the end of Jungkook's sleeve in a silent thank you, touched by his friend's kindness.

When Namjoon finally gets him to look up, he's rewarded with a small, crooked smile, so he lets him go, sparing Jungkook from more embarrassment. And really, it's to stop himself from wanting to touch him more, to feel the younger's warmth under his hands.

"You didn't have to do that," he says, suddenly feeling flustered by the kind-hearted gesture. "I could've gone to the library myself, you know."

Jungkook shrugs his shoulders, still holding on tightly to the books. "It's no problem, hyung. I was already there for work and remembered how you mentioned needing the books. I got them to help you out since I know you've been busy between school and work." Namjoon's heart clenches, his heart swelling with even more warmth and adoration for him.

Namjoon is in his last year and is bombarded with assignments and exams. He's been trying to keep up, but his exhaustion is setting in, and it seems that Jungkook noticed. Getting his Master's in environmental engineering hasn't been easy; he often wakes up in a cold sweat after nightmares about mathematical formulas, overdue assignments, and missing classes.