Escape (Chapter 11)

Hope suddenly flooded the two standing there, exhilaration and joy filled their spirits. They heard the man dash down the hall, then up the stairs, in an attempt to find an escape route. Jake saw that it was their chance, and took off, with the girl. They ran, being cautious of the corpses on the ground and bolted for the door. They were almost there. Only ten more feet!

Nine...

eight...

s e v e n ...

s i x ...

BAM!

Jake collapsed to the floor with a shout of pain, sending Hailey tumbling to the ground in front of him. She sat up. "JAKE!" She gasped. He groaned in pain, grasping his side. He tried to sit up, but went limp soon after. another BANG! He had missed Hailey by almost an inch. She turned to face the man. He wore a black hood, and it was impossible to see his face. He ran towards the girl, aiming the gun directly at her. It was over, she knew it. She covered her face, bracing for the pain. Just then, she saw a blur of blonde hair, and the gun went off as the man fell, tackled to the ground by Jake. "RUN!" he screamed. She did as told and jumped off the ground, just as the man shoved the boy off of him and sat up. She bolted for the door, the sound of violent struggling behind her. She dashed down the hall, spreading her legs and slamming her feet to the ground to reach as much speed as she possibly could. Pain engulfed her entire body and every step felt like a knife digging deeper into her flesh as she continued. The halls roared with sound as rounds were let off by the man, followed by desperate cries and shouts from the boy. It sounded like the two were still wrestling. Hailey rounded the corner just after the man had shot another. The bullet whipped past her, grazing her ear, but she continued on. There it was. The door.

Hailey ran as fast as she could possibly run, practically reaching for the doors to the outside. she could see the red and blue lights flashing through the windows. The light illuminated the corridors, streaking across the walls. The sirens grew louder as the girl bolted, gasping for air. She was now five feet away from the door. She outstretched her hands and threw the doors open, panting and gasping. The police saw the girl and one of the units ran to her. He supported the girl as she limped to the sidelines. "Wait! Jake is still in there!" the officer stopped and looked at her. "Please! My friend is wrestling with him! You have to help him!" she cried, desperately. Then she spotted them. Milly, Sean, Luke, and Zander. They ran to her, and the cop released her, letting the group surround and embrace their friend.

They hugged, chatted and pounded the girl with questions, but all she could think about was the boy she had left behind in the school. Possibly still wrestling with the man if he wasn't... No. She wouldn't let herself think about it. "Sir, come out with your hands in the air, we know you have the boy." One of the officers shouted into a megaphone. The rounds had stopped firing, and all was silent in the school, all except for the sirens of the cop cars. Then came an eerie, spine chilling shout from the inside. "If you come in here! I'll shoot him!" the man shrieked. "And how do we know you haven't shot him already?" the officer boomed back. "You don't.." the man responded in his unnerving manner. He cackled to himself and the noise sent chills up Hailey's, and the rest of the group standing there's, spines.