Hidden (Chapter 4)

---------

Hours later, there was silence, before more shots were fired, louder and closer than ever the room after the door echoed with the sound of desperate sobs, screams and begs from both teachers and students. The shooter was in the cafeteria. The sound was terrible, it sickened and terrified the few who were still hiding in the closet. more rounds fired, followed by a shout, a scream, and a pained wail. Loud, long pitiful moans rang through the halls. Quiet sobs were heard all around the closet, Jake stared into the darkness, petrified by the screams of his classmates. He heard a whimper from behind. Then the same person wrapped their arms around him, burying their face into the back of his shirt. He felt a head of soft fluffy hair touch his neck. The person held in sobs with an obvious effort.

Jake didn't know who it was who had grasped him, but he didn't care. Anyone's touch felt comforting right now. He didn't even care if it was Zoey who clung to him, he was grateful to have a living person there, and the person thought the same. He turned around and embraced the trembling teenager, turning so that they rested on him. He grasped them, who had now curled into a ball in his lap. They clutched him tightly. The person continued to cry, though still holding back. They let out a sob, accidentally. Jake recognized the voice. "Hailey..?" he whispered, holding back tears himself. He felt the girl grasp tighter and let herself sob into his shoulder. He placed his back against the wall and stroked the girl's back, sheading a few tears himself. She heaved, letting out a whimper every loud, anguished scream. She clung to the boy, her face sunk deeper into his collar. Soft sobs and weeps were heard from around the room, as the teenager's were forced to listen to the sounds of their classmates' and friends' murders. 

Jake began to hum, offering the smallest of comfort to the people in the room, and the girl in his arms. She continued to sob, shaking and gasping for air. The girl was panicked, and she hyperventilated. The boy lowered his head so that his mouth was at her ear, attempting to block the horrendous chaos that screamed from outside the door. He sung softly, rocking back and forth slowly. The people in the room jumped, scooting away from the door. Hailey shook violently as the people pounded on the door, screaming and begging to be let in. Grabbing the handle, they tugged and pulled on it, shouting and wailing. Then rounds were let off again, and the people stopped hollering. Their bodies were heard as they fell to the ground, screaming and sobbing in agony.

Hailey jumped and grasped the blonde tighter all the more. Jake heard the quiet whimpers as she trembled greatly. He placed his left hand on the back of her head, and rubbed her back with the other. He wept silently with the girl and a few others in the room. Then silence fell outside the door. Everyone outside who wasn't hiding was surely dead. Then Jake heard the sound of heavy boots getting louder and louder. Mostly everyone had quieted down, except for the weeping girl wrapped in his arms. "Shh. Hailey, stay quiet, he's outside the door." he warmed, and he heard the girl hold her breath. The footsteps grew louder and louder. Then he heard the doorknob turn. Jake held the girl to his chest. He hugged her tightly, knowing this could very well be the end. He muttered a silent prayer.

Miraculously, the person let go if the knob. Shuffling was heard, then the sound of stomping which kept getting quieter and quieter. The perpetrator had left. There was silence, not a breath could be heard, as the group sat frozen, unsure whether the shooter had left or not. Then one by one they breathed and shifted around, relaxing, some crying onto the person next to them. Hailey loosened her grasp on the boy, but still lay there, in a ball. Jake heard the small whines come from her as she let herself sink into his core. After all, no one could see her. No one could tease her for clinging so desperately onto the blonde. "What will we do?! We're stuck here in the closet with a killer running around!" a familiar voice almost shouted. The rest of the group shushed the girl. "Zoey! You're not helping!" whispered another girl in the room, probably being Milly. "Oh I'M not helping anything?! Well you're-! MMPH!" someone cut her off, clamping their hand over the girl's mouth. "But she does have a point... what will we do?" came Lia's voice from the darkness.

Jake felt Hailey turn around, basically sitting in his lap. He slowly moved his arms across her diaphragm, pulling her close. "We have to find a way to escape out of here." she suggested. "Okay, but how?" came a voice from across the room. "I have an idea but we'll have to act fast." she responded.