Chase (Chapter 8)

The two bolted up the stairs, rounded the corner and ran through rooms in an attempt to lose the man. The footsteps began to get quieter and slower as the man attempted to climb the stairs they were flying up. Adrenaline pumped through their veins, as they darted up the flight. Jake pulled the girl into the staff room, the only one that had a mechanical lock. He led the girl inside, then closed the door, locking it. Hailey collapsed onto the ground, clutching her side, suddenly feeling a tremendous, sharp pain. 

Jake fell to the girl's side. "What's wrong? Did he get you?!" he asked, lifting his hands up. She writhed, gasping for air from both the pain and the effort it took to run all that way. She lifted her hands off of her waist. The boy saw from the dim moonlight, red liquid that seeped from her shirt. He threw his hand over his mouth, gasping. Then he placed his hands underneath her and lifted her body slightly. She seethed, whimpering softly as he studied her back. Then he propped her up on a chair. "It looks like the bullet went straight through." he stated, trying his best not to panic, though he basically already was.

She breathed, resting, yet still tightly shut her eyes. He slumped down beside her, trying to figure out what to say. "Can I..?" he pointed to her side. She opened her eyes and nodded. He slowly lifted her shirt and checked the wound. It didn't seem to have torn through any vital organs, as it mostly covered the edge of her waist. The boy breathed a sigh of relief. "You're going to be alright. It'll be okay." he assured her, touching her arm. She looked up at him, her eyes pained and anguished, gleamed with tears. The sight broke him, and he made his way to the opposite side of her. He wrapped his arms around the girl, gently pulling her close. She returned it. Her side throbbed with a burning, stinging pain, but no tears came.

She felt terrible, pained and still ill from the chemicals. She needed to cry, but in the moment, was too tired to cry. Hailey was sick of crying, though she still felt the burning tension in her throat. She leaned on him, resting her head on his collar. she fell asleep, exhausted. Jake took pity on the poor girl. He sat down on the soft, cushiony couch with her in his arms. He stroked the girl's head, while keeping watch for the man. He wouldn't let her sleep the whole night here with that lunatic, but she deserved sleep after all the chaos she endured. "Thank you, Hailey." he whispered into the girls ear. "Thank you so much." he muttered, feeling a tear fall down his face. He rested his head on hers and heard the soft breathing, then he felt the girl shudder. He took the jacket he had carried from the closet and placed it around her, tucking the ends underneath her. The jacket looked huge for her and made her look small, which caused her to look all the more adorable bundled in the fluffy, leather jacket. Jake pressed his lips against her forehead and kissed the blue haired girl.

He looked up and saw the clock below the window, lit by the moonlight. 10 pm. He decided he would let her sleep until 12, unless she woke up before then. He tried to get up, but froze when he heard a soft moan and felt the girl wrap her arms around the boy's waist. He relaxed again and pat her back, smiling slightly. The warmth came yet again. What was this feeling? It was like the way Daisy made him feel, but... stronger..? Jake was confused by this. He shook it off. He placed his arms underneath hers, holding them. Then he focused on listening for the man.