Forgiveness? (Chapter 3)

Lunch finally came. Jake, Hailey, Sean, Luke, Milly and Zander met up in the cafeteria and sat at a table together. Laughing and chatting together as the siblings retold the story of how Jake shut the school's spoiled rich girl's mouth. Milly slammed her hand down on the table, causing Zander to wince. "and she ACTUALLY-?!" she cut herself off to laugh. Sean and Jake began to chuckle slightly when the ecstatic girl started to cackle, clutching her stomach. Jake glanced over to a blonde girl with pink fade in her hair and the same ugly green sweater. She sat alone at a table, her head rested on her hand. He studied the girl and saw her shoulders jolting, then the sound of faint sobbing. Zoey was crying. She buried her head into her arms, which were rested on the table. Jake had begun to feel bad for the girl. Hailey followed his gaze, her eyes resting on the crying girl. Then she too felt pity for her.

Suddenly, the boy had the urge to comfort her. Yes, he knew she had wronged him. Yes, she had hurt him and his friends beyond measure, but in the end, all the people in that room were just as bad as her. Jake knew what it felt like to be alone, what it felt like to be bullied and to bully just like her. I seemed as if the two were just like each other. He stood up, but froze, not sure if he should walk over or stay there. Soon the others understood when they looked in the direction he was staring. Milly scoffed, "Ah, just leave her! She's a witch! She doesn't deserve to be forgiven!" she stated, pointing to the upset Zoey. Jake slowly turned his head to face the red haired girl. "None of us deserve to be forgiven, we're just as bad as she is, whether we let ourselves realize that or not." he responded, and there was silence as the stunned Milly stared at the boy. "What are you talking about?!" the girl almost shouted. He turned to face the red haired girl. "Well I don't know about you, but I'm a person who believes in second chances." he replied in a gentle voice, glancing over to Hailey and shooting her a small smile. The blue haired girl looked conflicted, but smiled knowingly, recalling the day on the roof.

Jake started in the direction of Zoey's table only to realize there was another comforting her. Dark skin, black hair, and enchanting brown eyes. Lia was patting the crying Zoey on the shoulder. The blonde made effort to swat the dark girl's hand away, but to no avail. She sat down next to Zoey, stroking her back and hair comfortingly. Jake warmed slightly and sat back down where his friends were. He noticed Milly had her head on the table, facing away from him. "Milly-" "Don't." she cut the boy off. Jake remained silent and sat there awkwardly as Sean started to gently rub the agitated girl's back. The blonde sighed out of regret and placed his head on the table as well. "Ugh.. I'm so damn STUPID." he scolded in his head... or so he thought.

He suddenly felt warmth on his left hand. He looked to his left and saw Hailey, her hand gently placed on his. She had heard the remark and wore a somber expression on her face. He stared at her, how long, he didn't know until he saw her face flush pink slightly. She moved her hand away as Jake sat up, realizing Milly was now staring at him, fighting a smirk. This make him chuckle slightly.

Suddenly, a flash of light and a loud BANG sounded, ringing through the halls. The whole cafeteria became still and silent, listening for the sound. Another BANG then another. The school began to echo with the sound of screams and shuffling, as people ran through the corridors, trying desperately to find somewhere to hide. Light flashed, lighting the rooms. Panic started to arise in the cafe as they too had begun to holler and cry out. The six friends froze for a minute, before jumping out of their seats like the rest of the teenagers. Hailey's eyes darted around the room, then stopped on a small supply closet hidden in the shadows in the corner of the room. "Guys! Over there! Hide in the janitor's closet!" she shouted over the panicked screams. The friends linked hands and bolted for the door leading to the hiding place. "Wait! What about everyone else?!" Luke shouted, attempting to stop them. They hesitated before running to the closet, "There's no time!" Zander called. Then Jake did the unthinkable. He let go of their hands and bolted to the center of the room. "Jake! Wha-?!" "Come on!" rang the muffled shouts of his friends behind him. He came to a stop. "EVERYONE IN THE JANITOR'S CLOSET!" he shouted, catching some attention. Some people made for the supply closet while others were too busy panicking. Jake turned and bolted for the place, he saw Lia grab Zoey's hand and lead her to the door as well. He and a few others including Drew, Liam and Daisy entered the pitch black room and slammed the door behind them, locking it. It was a very enclosed space, and the group had to smush together to fit in the small room. It was impossible to see who was in there with him, but upon shutting the door, he saw the faces of his five friends, along with Zoey, Lia, Drew, Liam, Daisy and a couple others. 

There was dead silence in the closet as the shots continued to fire over and over again, ringing and echoing through the halls and corridors. Blood curdling screams of both panic and agony filled the room, along with the sound of sobbing and stomping, shuffling and scuttling echoing. The sound of panting for breath, out of both exhaustion and fear, filled the closet. Soft gasps were heard around the room. Jake could feel the people around him, along with himself, flinching and cringing whenever the mystery shooter fired a round.