The First I Love You

In which Remus has trouble saying I love you.

Sirius and Remus laid on the soft grass, stars above them. They had snuck out, just to be alone. They held hands, laughing and conversing. The two loved moments like these, they had only started dating one month ago and they still didn't get all that much time alone together.

Sirius looked over to Remus. Remus' golden eyes shone brightly, they were full of happiness, pain not evident in them for once. "I love you Remus," Sirius blurted, it was the first time one of them had said that. Remus smiled. "You don't have to say it back, but I just need you to know that," Sirius assured and kissed the man.

A couple of days had gone by after that. Now they were sitting in the library, holding hands. Remus was reading a book about potions while Sirius grinned and watched. Sirius lightly grabbed Remus' chin so that they were face to face. Sirius kissed his lips softly. "I love you Moony."

Three weeks had passed since their time in the library. They were in the common room, the Gryffindor's were having a party after winning a quidditch match against Ravenclaw. Sirius and Remus danced, Remus spun Sirius around. "I love you," Sirius murmured with a big smile.

It was a month after the party, Sirius was now comforting Remus in the Shrieking Shack as he awoke from a heavy sleep, yesterday being a full moon. "You're gorgeous Moony, those scars mean you're strong, not ugly," Sirius assured, coming through Remus' hair. "I love you so much Rem, remember that."

Two months had passed since that, it had been almost four months since Sirius said his first 'I love you' to his lover. They had now been dating for six months.

Currently, Remus and Sirius lay on Sirius' bed, James and Peter being gone somewhere. They cuddled, Sirius snuggling close into his lover. "You mean so much Moony, I love you so very much," Sirius said. Remus hummed and silence followed.

Sirius moved away from Remus. "Why don't you say I love you back?" he asked suddenly. Remus shrugged. Sirius shrugged back sarcastically. "You don't know?" he asked. Remus looked down. "Remus we've been dating for six months and you can't even say a simple word?" Sirius asked, getting angry.

Remus stayed silent, which was very much the wrong move. "Do you even like me?" Sirius asked, tears welling up in his eyes. "Of course Sirius, I just..." Remus trailed off. "You just what Remus?" Sirius demanded. When Remus didn't respond Sirius rolled his eyes. "You used for six months, real nice Lupin," Sirius hissed and ran out the door leaving Remus standing alone in shock.

Not even two minutes late James and Peter ran up to their shared dorm. "Remus? What happened?" Peter asked. When Remus was silent James walked over. "Why did Sirius just come down stairs running looking like he was crying? He took Lily and they went to her room." James asked.

Remus sat on his bed staring at the floor. "I let Sirius believe I didn't love him by accident," Remus choked out. James and Peter sat beside the man, squishing the man into the middle. "How?" Peter asked softly. "I haven't said that I've loved him once, Sirius says it all the time. When he questioned me about it I went silent."

James sighed. "Why would you do that?" he groaned. "He thinks I don't love him when my actual problem is that I love him too much," Remus rambled. "You can't love someone too much," Peter assured. "You can Peter!" Remus snapped, looking up and then muttered; "when you're a freaky monster that is, I'm terrified that if I love him I'll kill him on a full moon, I'd never forgive myself then."

Peter and James shook their heads in sync. "You've already killed him," Peter stated. "You're everything to Sirius and now he thinks you don't even like him," James explained in a harsh tone and then added softer; "if you live your whole life not loving anyone you'll destroy yourself."

Remus nodded slowly. "How do I fix this?" he asked. James slapped him across the face. "Ow!" he yelled. "That's for hurting Sirius, you do it again I'll see it through you never get to reproduce," he whispered in a harsh tone. Remus still held where James had hit. "It'll never happen again."

James smiled. "Alright so Peter is gonna go Lily and Sirius and you'll be waiting up here to apologize," he told Remus who nodded. Peter walked over to his desk where a vase of roses were, no one knew where he got them but he did have them. He picked up a singular rose and threw it to Remus who caught it with ease. "Give this to him." Peter stated and walked out the door to go get Lily and Sirius.

Remus stood up with the rose in hand. "You better not mess this up, you hurt our Padfoot again, you know what happens," James said cheerfully. "Remind me never to cross your path," Remus muttered.

After a few minutes Remus saw Sirius push open the door, his eyes were red and puffy. He sure had messed things up. James nodded in reassurance and walked out the door, going to wait outside with Lily and Peter.

Remus walked over to Sirius as the door shut. "Sirius I'm so, so, so very sorry," he apologized. "I sure hope," Sirius replied dryly. "I love you so much Siri, I'm sorry you had to ever think I didn't. I was afraiding of hurting you physically not realizing I should be more afraid of hurting you mentally," Remus said.

Remus held out the rose. Sirius took it politely. "You said I love you," Sirius stated. Remus nodded with a small smile; "I did, and I've never meant something more. I'm so madly in love with you Sirius Black, nothing could ever change that."

Sirius smiled and hugged Remus tightly. "I could never stay upset with you Moony," he whispered. "I love you Padfoot," Remus repeated. Sirius pulled away and held Remus' hands. "I'll never get tired of hearing that," he stated with a smirk. "Good, because from here on out I'll be saying it a lot."

The two smiled at each other in calm silence. Sirius tipped his head in confusion. "Why is your cheek red?" he asked. Remus shivered. "James slapped me, you can be assured I'll never upset you again next is my manhood," Remus told Sirius who started laughing. "Watch out Moony!"