Part 4: strange, tall mystery man

RENNIE'S POV

It had been almost a week since the incident with Tommy. Almost a week not talking to him at all, or interacting online. For friends who've never gone a day without talking, this was a big deal.

But right now Rennie had bigger fish to fry.
She was getting her coat on, ready to face the dreary British weather. It has rained every day since last month. And it was really taking a toll on her mood.

With a guitar on her back, she double checked the address her boss had sent her.
75 Hillbrook road. One of the posher places in Brighton. It was only a 10 minute walk. So the rain chilling her from the inside out was only temporary. After debating not leaving at all, she walked out her apartment door and began walking to where she'd record her playing with a bunch of strangers who hired her.

"Shit" Rennie murmured to herself as the rain started to pour down heavier. She'd have to walk faster in order to minimise the damage the water may do to her guitar.

With a rather brisk pace, she turned a corner around a small Tescos, not thinking that someone may attempt to leave the shop, and collide with her.

And as if perhaps a twist of fate, thats exactly what happened. As she sped past the door
An unexpectedly tall man collided with her, with Rennie's face falling into his chest. As they both hurtle towards the ground.

Saying Rennie was angry was an absolute understatement. She was fuming.

"YOU NEED TO MIND YOUR FUCKING SURROUNDINGS, SIR. GIVE A LITTLE RESPECT FOR THOSE AROUND YOU."
She shouted. Still practically straddling this strange, tall, mystery man.

She was confused when he remained silent.
Rennie looked up at his face. She almost screamed with pure shock.

It was him.

It was fucking him.

James Marriott.

She didn't know what to do. Of course, James couldn't possibly recognise her. It was only Tommy who knew what Rennie actually looked like. But she knew who he was.
She knew his face. She knew the hours she spent thinking about what she'd do to him if they inevitability met.
What they'd do together.

But to James, this small stranger had fell on him, and was now yelling in his face.
Whilst simultaneously straddling his waist, with her arms either side his head.
Lips centimetres from colliding.

Rennie was mortified that this is how they had met. And perhaps they would never meet face to face again.

"Chill, girl. Your the one who fell on me. No need to get all defensive!" He said. Surprisingly, not angry at all with Rennie.

Of course, she was still in shock.

"Are you hurt? Looks like you fell pretty bad."
He chuckled. Staring into her eyes in a way Rennie had only ever imagined in a dream.

The only thing Rennie could get out was a
"Im good. Sorry."

She slowly got herself back together.
She knew her only chance to get to know the man of her dreams was now. Face to face. So she took it.

"Im so sorry, mate. Im having a really shit day. And I took that out on you."

"Its ok. Where you off to in such a rush?"
James said with a smile.

"In gonna go record with a bunch of dudes for a band-type-thing. Just a little hobby I like to do on the side of work."

There was no way Rennie was going to say what she did for work. Her cover would be blown in an instant.

James looked confused for a second.
"Wait... 75 Hillbrook Road?" He asked, head tilted to the side. His adorable hair covering one eye.

Rennie couldn't believe it. She was going to record with THEE James Marriott. Her crush. Her life. She couldn't believe it. What a strange twist of fate.

"Oh my fucking god... YES!" she said, as a smile spread across both their faces. As they stood up and walked towards the same place.

~time skip~

Rennie was delighted. They had recorded two new songs James would release live on tour.
Their names being 'leave me behind' and 'paper crowns'.

She adored every moment of playing. Especially 'paper crowns'.
It had a slow melody that built up and up.
Eventually ending in a guitar solo. Crashing down like waves on a beach.
It was by far the best song Rennie had ever heard. In her life. It trumped Lovejoy completely.

"I think thats it for today, boys."
I coughed as if trying to get his attention.
"and girl" he said, laughing at my failed attempt at making an offended face.

James looked at the rest of the boys, and they collectively nodded their heads. As if giving James the 'all good' nonverbally.

James grabbed her arm unexpectedly, leading her to a small room attached to the renovated attic they played in previously.

James cleared his throat before speaking.

"Hi..." He said, looking at the ground as if nervous.
Rennie remained silent. Waiting for him to give his statement.

"Would it be oka... would you like to come on tour with us? Its just around the uk. I know you where proper pissed at me outside that Tescos, but your kind of amazing, and I love yo... I mean as a group we really love you. So would you consider?"

Rennie actually thought she was dreaming.

"I mean... short notice but... absolutely!" She said.
James's face completely lit up

Suddenly Rennie was painfully aware of how small this room was. And how close she was to James. In a-few centimetres she could be pressed against his chest, lips colliding.

But James couldn't possibly think of her like that. She was a total stranger, as far as he knew. Of course James wasn't aware they had played Minecraft together for years.

"Fuck I forgot to ask" James cursed.
Then he started laughing softly.
"What's your name?"

Before Rennie could possibly think about giving a fake one, she said

"Rennita, but for short, Rennie."

"Hmmm. Rennie" James said.
"I know a Rennie. Ive known her for years.
She doesnt share anything about her life with me.
Nothing at all. But I'd adore to know her. Christ, She hasn't even shown me her face!"
He sighs.

"But at least I have you." He smiled
Rennie smiles too,

But she knows what shes got herself into.
And she was in too deep to back out now...

1085 words