Chapter 10

Pov Lalisa Manoban

- Thank you, Sarah, for all your support. - I had already given her all the news about Anthony's adoption and she was always happy to hear that we were doing everything we could to make the process go faster.

- Imagine Lisa, he's already waiting for you in the courtyard, I've never seen him so excited.

- We told him we were going to Lilly's house. It's amazing how well he understands everything we say, but he usually doesn't respond verbally.

- I think your care has helped a lot with this, a good psychologist and speech therapist will make all the difference, but you've come a long way, he didn't speak a word with you, now he's talking. - I laughed along with Sarah.

- I'll get him then.

- Rose didn't come with you? - We got up together and walked to the courtyard.

- She had to sort out a few things, but I'll be right over to pick her up.

Anthony was painting as usual, but unfortunately he was doing it alone now that Lilly had gone home. As soon as he saw me, he stood up smiling and showing his baby teeth.

He put his drawings to one side and walked over to me. I crouched down and picked him up, smelling his sweet scent. Rose had given him a present, Sarah always encouraged him to wear the things we brought. He was wearing a sweatshirt, but we were going to change before the party. I had bought him a beautiful outfit together with Rose.

- See you later, Sarah. - Anthony waved goodbye to her and we walked away.

I put him in the back seat as usual and gave him a toy. I would pick Rose up from her apartment and we would go to my house party. She was sorting out a few things about her new job, it didn't take long for a publisher to call her, now she wouldn't be a secretary, she'd be a trainee in her field, I'd never seen her mood jump so quickly, everything was going so well between us.

I parked the car in front of her apartment, texting her and telling her I was already waiting. I watched as she got out but stopped at the gate, giving way to Suzy beside her. A strong pang of jealousy hit me and I shut my face instantly, taking a deep breath as Suzy placed a kiss on my cheek, receiving a smile from her. My fingers tightened on the steering wheel.

- Rosi Rosi. - Anthony said, waving his little hands in the back seat, now he had learned to call our names his way.

He called Rose Rosi, almost a Rosie, while he called me Lis, with a lot of L's.

- Good afternoon. - She said after getting into the white back seat and closing the door. - Hi, my love. - Rose pulled him out of the booster seat and gave him a tight hug.

Anthony settled into her lap and I started the car completely in silence, still feeling that horrible anguish.

- Is everything all right? - Rose asked, looking at me in the mirror.

- Yes, everything's fine. - I didn't know where to put my face, let alone change my expression.

She'd got back with Suzy, she'd told me that we wanted to get married and adopt Anthony together, why had she resurfaced after so long, none of those questions were any of my business and it shouldn't be bothering me so much. I could try to pretend I didn't see anything, which would be impossible.

I parked the car in front of the house and got in with the two of them. Rose put Anthony down and took off her jeans jacket. She was wearing jeans that modulated her body, a black cropped top that showed off her belly and a jacket on top.

- I can go and give Anthony a bath so you can get ready.

- Okay, things are in the same place, his clothes are hanging on the door of the second bedroom.