Prologue

Narrator Pov

It was another cold morning in downtown New York, and the red-haired girl was hurrying through the streets for fear of being late once again. Her studies and difficulty resting made her miss her schedule at least twice a week.

She only stopped to buy a coffee in the hope that it would wake her up enough for a few hours, and she got on the crowded train looking for a little space to balance while she took her notebook out of her bag.

- Excuse me. - a gentleman mumbled stressfully, causing her to snort and give way.

She hated bad-tempered people first thing in the morning, it wasn't easy to get up and face another day of tiring routine, it got worse meeting so many rude people along the way, unlike these people she was sweet, she didn't see the point in making someone's day worse.

After long minutes cramped in the subway, she finally arrived at her destination, putting her notebook back in her bag and throwing her coffee cup away.

She waited patiently for the light to open before walking to the building on the corner, where she worked as an intern at a newspaper, the closest she had come so far to her dream of becoming a columnist.

While she was waiting, she saw a very well-dressed girl arguing with a guy in front of the building, it was the first time she had seen her there, then the light opened and she kept walking, trying not to bump into anyone, it was natural for New York to have so many people coming and going.

But something prevented her from continuing, she saw a child with torn clothes approaching a car at the light, he was barefoot and without a sweater, she was surprised not to see any adults around, she slowed down and approached him.

- Are you hungry? - a deep, masculine voice asked the boy, who just nodded in agreement. - Why don't you come in, I've got some food in the car.

The child stared at the driver with all his innocence. The girl moved even closer to him, putting her hand on his shoulder and receiving his gaze immediately.

- Aren't you ashamed of yourself, you imbecile? - the voice of the girl next to the redhead sounded as disgusting as possible.

The guy pulled the car away, frightening the three of them, who fell backwards off balance.

- Are you all right? - the redhead asked the worried girl.

They both got up and held out their hands to the child who was crying, frightened by the situation.

- Hey, don't cry. - The sight of the girls staring at the crying child, all dirty and with torn clothes, was heartbreaking; her face was certainly red from the cold.

- Where are your parents? - the redhead asked worriedly after the three of them left the street and found a quiet corner on the sidewalk.

The girl who had previously been arguing in front of the building took off her coat and put it around the little boy's body, and he coughed a few times, curling up against the warm cloth.

He sat on the ground feeling weak.

- I don't think he has any parents, do you need to go somewhere now?

- I was on my way to work. - he said, pointing to the building in front of him. - But it's okay, I'm worried about him. - the redhead bent down to stroke the little boy's dirty, messy hair.

She felt her heart squeeze once more.

- Hey, little one. - the other girl did the same as the redhead, bending down to him. - How about we get something to eat, you look hungry.