chapter 9

( • FLORENCE • )

Archie takes me to my lessons in the library. I attempt to delay the journey there as much as I am able, but I can only do so much before he catches on and practically drags me to the library, going on about how he's got things to do that don't include chauffeuring me around all day.

     He leaves me by the door of the library and I inhale a large breath before walking inside. Ms. Smith sits on a couch in the farthest corner of the room. She glances at me, displeasure shining through her gaze.

     "Somebody politer would stand and curtsy." I tell her.

     Her face twists into an unpleasant scowl. "Have you already forgotten everything I told you? Shoulders back, head up. You look like you have immense hunchback."

     "I am not sure you are in the position to tell me that, Ms. Smith."

     Horror fills her features. She stands. "We have a lot to do today. Save your idiotic remarks for somebody who cares for them."

     My eyes narrow into a glare. This will be fun.

( • • )

Ms. Smith makes me balance books on my head as I walk for two hours. Afterwards, she makes me go up to my brothers study and show him my newfound posture.

     When I walk from one end of the room to the other without dropping the five books on my head, his lips spread into a slow smile.

     "Very good." He says, standing. He rounds his desk and walks over to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer to him in a side hug. He kisses my forehead. "Well done, Flo."

     I paste on a fake smile. He frowns and turns away to say goodbye to Ms. Smith, even though she'll return to torture me even more tomorrow. When she leaves, I go to copy, but Harvey says my name.

     I groan and turn around. "What?"

     "What is the matter?" He asks me.

     "Nothing." I say, crossing my arms.

     "I am your brother. I know when something is bothering you, Florence." He tells me. "What is it?"

     I scoff. "Do you, really, brother? I forgot we were siblings to begin with."

He tilts his head. "Don't be daft, Florence."

I scowl. "I am finished with all of this. You are not my brother anymore."

"That isn't how it works, I'm afraid. Do not get in one of your moods because, for once, I am making you face the consequences of your actions. You behaved poorly and now you're being punished."

"Louis does things all the time and he is not forced have to take etiquette classes! Just the other day, Archie was drinking with several girls in one of the lounge rooms and he was not given any punishment. Please, Harvey, tell me why I am the only one who receives consequences!"

"That is different."

"How?" I shout.

     "Do not raise your voice to me, Florence." He tells me. "I am trying to raise you to be a respectable young woman who may just about scrape a husband, you are the one who is making it so difficult, and causing all of this unnecessary trouble."

     "Because that is all I am destined for?" I ask, my voice taking on a softer, sadder edge. "To be somebody's wife?"

     He sighs. "Flo—"

     "No. I think you have made your point very clear. From now on I will try not to cause any unnecessary trouble." I swallow the thick lump lodged inside my throat, then turn around and leave.