chapter 3

( • FLORENCE • )

I wake up when my curtains are drawn open. Light shines into my room and forces my eyes open. I squint as my eyes adjust to the light, and when they do I furrow my eyebrows.

     Harry stands by the windows, fully dressed, fully awake. He looks royal and authoritative, and I can't hold back my eye roll.

     "Why must you bother me so early in the morning? At least allow me to have breakfast first, brother, I beg of you." I say, sitting up in my bed and leaning back on the headboard.

"Please do tell me, sister, why one of our maids has requested to be moved completely away from your quarters because you apparently made her talk to you."

Offence rolls through me. "I did no such thing. I gently suggested she talk to me, since she was crying. I would've been an awful person to turn her away. And that, I am not."

"Well, if someone doesn't want to talk to you and rejects your help at first, leave them alone. The last thing we, and specifically you need is for people to hear that the Princess can't mind her own business."

     "Oh, do be quiet, Harry."

     "No." He says, and from the expression on his face I can tell I'm about to be scolded. "Do you not care about your reputation at all?"

"Not especially, no." I respond. "People are free to think whatever they want of me."

"Yes, Florence, they do. They likely assume that you are a wild, disobedient young lady."

"How deeply unfortunate. I do not know what I will make of myself."

"Your sarcasm will get you nowhere, sister."

"I am not allowed to go many places anyway, so I think I'm perfectly fine with that." I tell him.

He sighs. "For the love of God—"

     "Do not use the Lords name in vain, brother. What would Harvey say? What would the people of England say? Oh, I can't even begin to imagine how that would damage your precious reputation."

"Mocking my words won't do anything either, Flo." He tells me.

"Do you know what else will do nothing, brother?" I question.

"No, but I'm sure you'll tell me."

"I will indeed." I smile at him. "Something else besides the many thing you've relayed to me already, is trying to tell me off for things, Harry. You are merely a few years older than me. You're like a peer."

His eyes narrow into a glare. "I am not a peer, Florence. I'm your brother and one of the people responsible for you. You are part of the royal family and therefore you need to uphold certain traditions and mannerisms."

"Like what?"

"Like minding your own business, and behaving like a good princess would."

"You truly are giving me the worse headache."

     "Florence!" He exclaims, exasperated. "Harvey is busy, so he's put me in charge of straightening you out."

     I frown.

     "And that starts with etiquette lessons from Ms. Smith."

     My eyes widen. "No!"

     "Yes." He replies. "Your first lesson is at two o'clock, and you will be there."

     "Harry, you can not do that to me!" I yell. I climb out of bed and rush over to him, "I hate that lady!"

     "I'm sure you'll grow close with her, Florence."

     "I would rather have my carriage crash next time I leave this palace than go to those classes!" I shout.

      "This is exactly what I'm talking about, Florence!" He tells me. "A Princess shouldn't talk like that."

     "But it's true!" I reply loudly. "I promise I will behave myself, Harry, just please don't make me do etiquette lessons! They have to be the most boring thing ever!"

     "You will be doing them." He says, "and if I find out that you have skipped a single lesson without a good reason, you will be in a lot of trouble."

     "There is nothing worse you could do to me than this!" I shout after him as he starts toward the door.

     "Stop being dramatic, Florence. Your lessons will take place in the library."

     And then he leaves.

     I groan, annoyed, and lift one of my pillows up to throw at the door.

     I hate Harry.